Chapter 33

Chapter 33

       As soon as Seb and I sat down at the cafeteria table, he winced. Even the simplest movements hurt for him. In fact, he couldn't even ride his motorcycle, so he had to come to school with me today.

       "Are you sure you don't want to go home and rest?" I asked him.

       Seb sighed. "I want to, but Sara's working and Gemma is at school, and if I'm home alone, I'm afraid I might snap and get in trouble because I'm still very pissed that everyone thinks Dax did it."

       I intertwined my hand in his. "I really wish we could figure out who did this."

       "Me too," Seb said quietly. "I haven't seen Dax since it happened."

       Seb hadn't been able to bring himself to visit Dax because he knew that as soon as he saw Dax in juvie, he would lose it and probably get extremely mad at everyone. However, I was able to convince him to go today after school, as long as I was with him to calm him down if he did snap.

       Ty suddenly walked up to us and sat down at the table. And surprisingly, Seb didn't say anything to Ty. No, 'Leave' or 'Go away'. Nothing.

       "So," Ty said. "Where is the younger Smythe?"

       "Shut the hell up, Ty," Seb snapped.

       "Whoa, I was just asking," Ty said. "Because I've noticed that even if one of you are sick, both of you will stay home."

       "It's none of your business where he is," Seb said. He didn't snap that time. Instead, his voice cracked when he said that. And I didn't blame him. Dax was Seb's whole world, and vice versa. Being separated from Dax was killing Seb.

       Ty furrowed his eyebrows. "Sebastian, are you okay?"

       Seb rubbed his eyes with his hand. "I don't want to talk about it," he said, his voice cracking even more. I even saw a tear run down his cheek. He was probably going to have a breakdown at any minute.

       I rubbed Seb's shoulder, hoping it would calm him down a bit. He was so emotional when it came to Dax and I hated seeing him so upset.

       "Did anything happen to Dax?" Ty asked, surprising me with the sympathetic tone in his voice.

       "Why do you care?" Seb asked.

       "Because he's my brother."

       "You don't act like he is," Seb said. "You've been such a jackass to him and you have no idea what he's going through."

       "I get that he was in the car when our mom passed away..."

       "He's schizophrenic," Seb said.

       "Wait," Ty said. "Dax is schizophrenic? So that's why he always has his earphones. And now I feel like a bigger jerk."

        "Yeah, you should," Seb said.

       "If I knew what he was going through..."

       "You shouldn't have done it anyway," Seb said. "He's fifteen, Tyson. You're two years older and you shouldn't be picking on him."

       "I already regret it as it is, you don't have to make me feel worse," Ty said. "So where is Dax?"

       "You want to know where he is?" Seb asked. "My little brother is in juvie because of some jackass."

       "Dax is in juvie?" Ty asked, looking extremely shocked. "We are talking about our brother Dax, right?"

       "What other Dax would I be talking about?" Seb asked.