Chapter 7

The cover was created by FlowerOfCamelis :)

Chapter 7

       "Alright," Mr. McCarthy said. "Pour the first substance into his second one. Slowly. If you do it too quickly, it can result in disaster. Wait for three minutes, then record your results."

       Since the first beaker was in front of me, I picked it and lifted it above the second beaker. Right as I tipped it, Seb decided to poke my side, causing me to jump and almost drop the beaker. "Seb!"

       "What?" he asked innocently. "I didn't do anything."

       I sighed and shook my head before I slowly tipped the beaker again, the substance slowly pouring out.

       Suddenly, Seb, who was standing behind me, rested his chin on my shoulder and said, "You're pouring it too fast."

       I put the beaker on the table and turned to face him. "Why are you so annoying?" I asked.

       "Because," was Seb's only reply. He then reached for the beaker. "Here, I'll do it. Fast or slow?"

       "Slow," I said.

       "Fast it is," Seb said.

       "Seb!"

       "Relax, I'm kidding," Seb said with a smile, one I haven't seen yet since I moved back here. It was such a sweet smile, but he didn't even notice that I was staring at his smile. He slowly poured the substance into the beaker and set the empty one on the table as he sat down on his stool. I sat down as well. "So, I talked to the owner of the dojo. He said he wants to meet you after school to see if you have the qualifications to be an instructor."

       "Great," I said with a smile. "But the qualifications shouldn't be too difficult since you're an instructor."

       "Ouch," Seb said, placing a hand over his heart. "That wounded me, Artie."

       I rolled my eyes as Mr. McCarthy came over. "How is it going?" he asked.

       "Good," I said. "We just have to wait five minutes now."

       Mr. McCarthy nodded. "Oh, and Sebastian, your brother needs to talk to you." 

       Seb got up from the stool and walked over to the door where Dax was standing, rocking back and forth between the ball and heel of his feet.

       "So, I see Sebastian has opened up to you," Mr. McCarthy said. "He has been concentrating a bit more since yesterday. Thank you for whatever you did. Even though he's a smart kid, he doesn't like doing his work. He's going to do a lot better."

       When Mr. McCarthy left, Seb walked back to the table and sat down. "So..." I said. "I really hope you don't mind me asking this, but... What's up with Dax and always needing earphones?"