Chapter 8

Hope you like the chapter! Please comment and vote! 

KYLIE POV

I wake up the next morning to my phone ringing. If there is one thing I hate more than not being able to eat, it's being woken up early on a Saturday.

I look at the caller I.D. and see that it's Jess. "What?" I groan.

"Well, good morning to you too." She jokes.

"Jess, you're my best friend and you know me better than anybody. Please tell me, why are you waking me up early on a Saturday?" I grumble.

 "It's already eleven, so I don't see how it's early. And we're going to hang out today." Jessica announces cheerfully.

 "What exactly are we going to be doing?" I question.

"Well, as you know, next Wednesday is Stereotype Day at school and as your best friend, I need to make sure you look like a stereotype. Or at least represent one."

Stereotype Day is a day at my school when you dress like a stereotype. For example, someone could dress like a stereotypical popular girl who only cares about how she looks and who her next boyfriend is. 

"Can't we just wear our cheer uniforms, be bitches for a day, and just do a Bring It On theme?" I ask, still too lazy to do anything.

"No, we wear our uniforms to school on game days, so it'll be like saying we're already the stereotype." She points out.

"But we don't treat people like dirt." I rebutle.

"Kylie!" Jess warns.

I groan. "Fine! I'll be ready in an hour." I hang up the phone.

I get out of bed and brush my teeth. I take a shower and get dressed in a plaid shirt that crosses in the front, dark skinny jeans with holes by the knee and thigh. I put on black high heel boots that reach a little over half of my shin. When I'm done getting dressed, I brush and straighten my hair. For make-up, I put on a dark eye shadow with black eyeliner and mascara. 

I check the time and see that I still have time to eat breakfast. I head downstairs to find my Mom in the kitchen. She looks at me in astonishment. "It's a Saturday and you're up and dressed before noon!" 

"Ha-ha very funny Mom. Jessica woke me up by calling me. She's making me go shopping for Stereotype day." I get a bowl of Honey-Nut Cheerios and begin to eat it.

"Oh, that makes more sense. The last time you were up before noon on Saturday was when we went to that amusement park." Mom says with a distant look in her eyes.

I look at my Mom and fake a smile, pretending I'm not affected by her mentioning one of the last things that we did with my Dad.

"Yeah, I remember that. I was mad at first because I didn't want to get up, but as soon as I saw the place I forgot why I was mad." I reminisce. There's a honk outside our house. Immediately after the honk, I got a text from Jess saying she was here. "That's Jess. Gotta go Mom." I give her a tight hug. "Bye. I love you."

"Love you too, sweetheart."

I run out the door and get into Jess's car. "Hey, Kylie." She smiles.

I buckled my seat-belt and Jess took off. "Hey," I say in a distracted tone. I'm still thinking about the amusement park with my Dad. 

"Come on! You woke up an hour ago! You can't still be tired!" Jess says.

I push my thoughts away and look at Jess, giving her the fake smile. "Sorry, I'm awake. I was just...thinking."

Jess glances at me. "Alright." After ten minutes of comfortable silence, Jess decides to break it. "So, you and Luke seem to be getting along lately."

I sigh. "Look, I know what you're implying, and there's nothing going on between us. I'm playing nice because if I don't, Mr.Walker will revoke my position as Cheer captain. And before you say anything, Luke's doing it for the same reasons I am. Nothing More."

"Really? He's doing it so he doesn't lose his position as Cheer captain too?" She jokes.

I roll my eyes. "No, dumbo! Luke's doing it so he doesn't lose his position as quarterback."  

Jess fake gasps. "Did you just call me a Disney animated elephant?" 

I roll my eyes. "Why are we friends again?"

"Because you love me... And that one time in third grade, I helped you get gum out of your hair because Luke thought it would be funny to put it there." 

I frown at the memory. "Yeah, that was awful." I look out the window and a thought comes to me. "So, you and Andrew, huh?"

Jess's face goes beat red. "What? No!"

"Well, you have Andrew's number. You even hung out with him at the party." 

"Whatever." She blushes more. Jessica pulls into the mall parking lot and we get out. "Nothing like shopping  for clothes to take your mind off things and make you look good."

"Let's not forget it makes you go broke as well. That's why I run. It takes the stress away, makes you look good, and it's free." I list all of the benefits.

"Whatever," She says pulling me to the entrance. "Let's go."

We walk through the mall for three hours, complaints leaving my mouth the majority of the time. We stop shopping when Jess finally agrees to take a break and get food. 

"Finally!" I exclaim. "I don't understand why we can't go do something else more fun. We already found our clothes for Stereotype Day." 

"And what do you suggest we do?" Jessica quirks an eyebrow.  

We get in line at a pizza place, and I think of something I've always wanted to do. "We could go paintballing?" I say as more of a question than a statement. 

Jessica is what one might call a girly girl. One who loves to dress up in dresses and skirts. The type of girl who complains if she chips her nail polish. To say she's appalled at the thought of paintballing would be an understatement.

Despite her fragile nature, I love Jess. She's not shallow, even though her appearance may make her seem that way. Jessica merely likes shopping and doing make-up. She helped me get through the death of my Dad. She'll listen to your problems. She's one of the best people I know. 

Jess gives me a mortified expression as we grab our food and head to a table in the food court. "Paintballing! Are you insane? That hurts, and I don't know how to shoot."

"You're right, never mind." I sigh. 

My mind drifts to Luke and how he looked at me when I fell from the pyramid. He looked at me the same way when he took me to the nurse's office. I can't help but think about how much our unlikely friendship has progressed. 

Why is that?