Chapter 9

Hey Guys and Gals :) Thank you for all the reads so far! Please comment and vote!

Can you guess the theme Kylie and Jess did?

KYLIE POV

On Wednesday, I walk into school with my Stereotype outfit. I have to admit it was worth shopping for. My outfit consists of pink converses, a pink crop top that says 'On Wednesdays, We Wear Pink', A pink sparkly bag, and skinny jeans. I did my make up with dark eye shadow, but not too dark, and light pink lipstick, almost nude. I did my hair in loose curls and painted my nails pink.

Jessica and I had decided to dress up to resemble a Plastic from Mean Girls. I love that movie.

"Hey, Kylie!" Jess yells as she runs to catch up with me.

"Hey, what's up?"

"Nothing, just walking to math. And wondering why I chose to wear these damn heels. They're killing my feet." Jessica complains.

Jess is wearing an outfit similar to me except instead of jeans, she's wearing a pink skirt and instead of converses, she's wearing pink heels.

I laugh as we enter our first period. "You're the one that decided to wear them." We sit down and I take out my phone, waiting for class to start. 

"So, you dressed like you're from Mean Girls." A voice sounds.

I look up to discover Luke decided to sit next to me. He is dressed as a nerd. He has taped glasses, suspenders, a plaid shirt, and a tie. And I'll bet you ten bucks that he is wearing knee-high socks. "And you dressed like Steve Urkel." 

Luke chuckles. "You're giving me too much credit. I just dressed like a nerd. I didn't even think of Steve Urkel." 

I smile. "Well, now if people ask, you can say you dressed like Steve Urkel." I look back at my phone and continue to scroll.

"You're being too nice." 

 I give Luke a weird look. "What? You want to fight and lose-"

"No," Luke interrupts, "Not that. I meant for being dressed to represent a Plastic. Not everything is about our stupid positions as captains."

I look at Luke as if he has two heads. "Since when did you stop caring about your position? Last week, you couldn't stand the thought of Principal Walker taking it away."

"I didn't say I didn't care. It's just not the only thing I care about. There are things that are more important to me." Luke explains.

"And what is more important to you?" I ask.

Luke doesn't answer, going on his phone like I didn't ask him a question.

"Alright class, enough talking. It's time for me to teach." The teacher starts the babbling that passes as teaching, and Luke passes me a note.

'Don't forget about our counseling during lunch today.

I peer at him and roll my eyes. I'm not looking forward to that.

----------------------------

I walk to the counseling room, walking in to find Luke already there, sitting in one of the three chairs. There are two chairs next to each other, for Luke and I, and one facing the other two, for the counselor. 

"Where's the counselor?" I ask.

"She went somewhere, I don't know. I wasn't listening." Luke answers with a shrug,

I nod and sit down in my seat. The counselor walks in and smiles.  "I'm Miss. Edmund, and I'm your counselor. Let's start with something simple. Go ahead and greet each other." She says as if she's talking to a couple of five-year-olds.

I sigh in frustration. Her speaking to us like this is going to get old fast. I turn to Luke. "Hi." 

He nods. "Hey." I can tell he's thinking the same thing.

"Good, could do better, but good. Now, say one nice thing about each other, and it can't be sport-related." Mrs. Edmund commands. 

Luke went first this time. "You have a nice mom." Luke jokes. He chuckles then stops me when I'm about to speak. "All joking aside, you are loyal."

I laugh. "I would've taken that I have a nice mom," I admit. "You're funny, and not always a dick." After thinking, I add on. "When you want to be."

The counselor hands us both a pad of paper and a pencil. "Now, write down one thing you don't like about each other. When you're done, you'll show each other at the same time."

Luke and I write down what we don't like about each other, and the counselor tells us to show what we wrote to each other.

We both turned our pads of paper in each other's direction. On my board, I wrote You're Frivolous. Meaning he's not serious enough and is incapable of taking anything seriously. 

Luke, on the other hand, wrote the opposite. He wrote the exact words. You're A Deadpan. Meaning I am too serious and careful.

I scowl at him. "I'm not a Deadpan. I take risks and have fun. " I argue.

"You do not. The biggest risks you take is in cheerleading when you do a pyramid." He points out. 

"I have my reasons," I say. 

"And what are they?" He asks.

"At least I take things seriously." I change the subject.

"I do take things seriously!" He says.

"That's enough you two." Miss. Edmund scolds. "In fact, that's enough for today. You can leave."

"Thank god, I'm starving," I say.

"Me too." Luke agrees.

Luke and I walk out of the counselor's office and head to the cafeteria. "I'm going to change that you're a deadpan. I have hope for you. You weren't always like this."  Luke says.

"And I'm going to find out what you're supposedly 'serious' about," I say, using finger quotations around the word serious.  

Luke stops abruptly and faces me. I notice he's turned a shade lighter. "I honestly hope you never do."

"Why do you hope I never find out?" I ask.

"Because you'll hate me forever. You won't even talk to me unless it's to tell me how much you hate me." Luke looks to the floor.

"Luke, if all these years of torture didn't make me stop talking to you, I don't think anything could," I confess.

"You say that now." Luke starts walking to the cafeteria again but calls over his shoulder. "Come on, I'll buy you lunch." 

I catch up with him and we go into the cafeteria to buy lunch. Thinking about Luke's words have made me lose my appetite. Why would I never talk to him again? What is he hiding that is so bad?