Chapter 17

Please comment and vote! :) Fun fact: I kept rewriting this chapter so... sorry it took long.

KYLIE POV

I hear someone knock on my door as I finish my make up. 

"Come in!" I yell.

"Your boyfriend is here," Nate says. I turn and face him just in time to see him wiggle his eyebrows.

I roll my eyes. "Stop with the suggestive eyebrow wiggles."

"You're my sister, it's my job to pick on you and to irritate you."  Nate sticks his tongue out.

"Go tell Luke I'll be down in a minute," I say shoving him out the door.

I hear Nate's retreating footsteps go down the stairs and I quickly slip on my shoes, grabbing my purse in the process. I walk out of my room and down the stairs to see Nate and Luke chatting.

Luke's eyes widen and he smiles when he sees me. I walk up to him and we hug. "You look beautiful."

I smile. "Thank you. You don't look too bad yourself." Luke smiles and moves me to his side so he has an arm around my waist. 

My mother walks in, smiling at the sight of Luke and me together. She was so happy when I told her we were dating, you'd think she was a teenager. my mom gushed over us. I had to stop her from throwing a party to celebrate us becoming a couple. She said, "It's not everyday soul mates start dating". But I managed to stop her and calm her down.

"Luke, dear, nice to see you!" She says.

"Nice to see you too, Mrs.Jacobs." Luke lets go of me and hugs my mom. "How have you been?"

"I've been good, thank you." She smiles. "Well, I think I've kept you two from your first date as an official couple long enough." 

I hug my Mom good-bye. "Bye, Mom." I smile. "Bye, Dweeb." I insult my brother.

We walk out the door and get in Luke's car. "You ready?" Luke asks.

"Yeah." I smile.

Luke takes off and entwines our fingers as he drives. I look at him and grin. He glances at me then brings my hand up to his lips and kisses it. My smile widens at his gesture.

"So, where are we going?" I ask out of curiosity. 

"Wouldn't you like to know?" He smirks.

"I would actually. That's kind of why I asked." I roll my eyes.

"Sassy as always, I see." Luke chuckles.

"Yup." I grin cheekily. 

We pull into the park and I look at Luke questioningly. "We're having a picnic." 

I smile a huge smile.  "I've always wanted a picnic date."

"So, I've heard." 

I give him a look."Who told you?" 

"A little birdy." Luke shrugs.

"I'm gonna kill Jess," I grumble.

"Who said it was Jess? And why would you kill her?"

"Because," I say. "It's against the girl code. You don't tell guys what you talk about."

Luke laughs as we get out of the car. Luke goes to the back of his car and pulls out two blankets and a basket. He leads me to a spot and he lays down a blanket. 

He motions for me to sit down and I happily oblige.  He lays a blanket over us and sets up the food. "I know this doesn't compare to your birthday dinner, but it's the thought that counts." 

I look at what he made and smile. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, bottles of tea, and bags of chips. Simple, yet somehow perfect. "I love it," I say. 

We eat as the sun sets and once we're done, we lay down and look at the sky. "Wanna play twenty questions?" He asks.

"Sure," I agree. "You go first."

"Okay, I'll start off simple. What's your favorite color?" 

"Blue. What's your favorite color?" I answer easily.

"I'd have to say red. What's your favorite T.V show?

"Supernatural, without a doubt. What's your middle name?" I say. I absolutely love Supernatural.

"Anthony," Luke reveals. "What's your favorite band?" 

"Either Fall Out Boy or Panic! at the Disco. What's yours?"

"Twenty One Pilots. What is your favorite childhood memory?"  He asks.

I take some time to think this one over. "There was this time before my Dad died when my family took a road trip over the summer. Each of us got to choose a place that we wanted to go to. So, my brother and I chose simple places, being too young to realize we could've chosen anywhere. I chose a huge park that was next to our hotel, and my brother chose a diner that claimed to have the best bacon burger in the world. My Mom, also thinking small, chose a fancy restaurant. But, when it was my Dad's turn, he wouldn't tell us where we were going. We drove for what felt like forever. but we eventually ended up in Disney World. " I say smiling at the memory. "What's your favorite childhood memory?"

"When I was five, and my brother was fifteen, my family was at the park and this ten-year-old kid started picking on me. The kid hit me and my brother saw. He came running over and wailed on the kid, saying if he ever picked on me again, he would do a lot worse. It might seem weird to have that as my favorite memory, but it was the day I started looking up to my brother. It made me want to be like him.  Well, I used to want to be like my brother." Luke says. "Is that strange?"

"I don't think so. What's your brother like? You never talk about him." I inquire.

"My brother is very complicated."  He sighs.

"Why do you always do that?" I ask.

"Do what?"

"Whenever I ask a question about your brother, you're always so vague. And your demeanor changes, you sigh, and get this distant look in your eyes." I point out.

"Look, my relationship with my brother is difficult. I don't have to tell you everything." Luke sighs.

"See! You're all pissy now!" I say.

"Kylie, just drop it, alright?" He snaps. "You think you need to know everything about me, but you don't. Leave the subject of my brother alone."

"Take me home." I scowl.

We pack up and get in his car. We drive to my house and the entire way, I stare out the window and stay silent.  Once we reach my house, I get out without a word. I barely make it halfway up my driveway before I hear the screech of Luke's tires taking off down the road. I roll my eyes and enter my house. 

When I walk in, my mom walks to the door to greet me. "How was your date, sweety?" 

 "I don't want to talk about it," I grumble as I slip off my shoes and go up to my room. I change into sleepwear and collapse on my bed.

How did a harmless game of twenty questions turn into a fight? Why does Luke's attitude change every time his brother is mentioned?  What did he mean when he said he used to want to be like his brother? Why doesn't he anymore?

All the questions race through my mind as I drift off into a restless sleep.