Chapter Nine: Secret Observation

When we arrived at the field, ready to start with the cheers, we saw the other team's squad also hopping around in their own uniforms, waving to the side of the bleachers where their school's supporters are seated.

My eyes locked in with their own cheer captain. They were from a school not really far from here so we all knew each other. I'm also aware of the fact that she's as competitive as I am and will surely not allow their crowd to be overpowered by ours.

She was challenging me with her gaze and I smirked. If that's how you want to play it, then let's play.

I signaled the drums to start hitting and we grabbed our pompoms, jumping up and down in synch to get our school crowd going, chanting some of our school cheers. Like as practiced, our Wolf mascot came running out, doing awkward dances and such. It wasn't the most properly rehearsed part but it was funny and it looked so silly that it kept the people entertained.

I'm praying that the energy drink we all had as a pre-game ritual keeps us going until the end.

As head cheerleader, I swore to keep our school spirit up, through wins and losses.

The audience soon became louder when the players slowly went out one by one, holding their helmets under their arms as they moved around with their dark uniforms. Blue and silver, our school colors.

Gray came marching out with his game face on, his eyes were so focused to the point that he drowned out the screams from the girls he passed by. He ruffed out his hair and took a deep breath, standing next to his teammates as they did a huddle.

Let me tell you something, with those steel brown eyes and the most serious expression on his face, his attractiveness just doubled – it didn't help that he looked absolutely amazing in his uniform.

When the team broke off, they readied themselves by giving one more stretch as they put on their helmets. I held out a hand to the girls to give them the signal to keep up with the screams as I walked up to Gray and gave him an encouraging smile, "Good luck out there."

"Start of the season," he huffed, shaking his arms to calm himself down, "Our first game."

"Hey," I held onto his helmet so he can look at me, "You're not going to lose because I'm the one waving the pompoms and cheering for you."

He blinked at me and his Mr. Serious façade broke down into bits, "You're so sure of yourself."

"That's usually you," I laughed, releasing him, "And you should keep up with it, especially in this game."

"Cheer for me?" he chuckled, slowly stepping back to join his team.

With an enthusiastic nod, I answered, "Every second."

And that was the start of our school's first game of the year. Whether the ball was with us or not, we yelled our lungs off and the boys placed in every ounce of strength to get the football through the field. The quarters flew by so quickly, and during in-between, the cheerleaders did not rest.

The audience at our side of the bleachers roared as the football came flying pass the opponent and into the arms of one of our players, sprinting around the field with it.

To say that we were tired is putting it lightly. With the large and hot lights along with the huge mass of people, it was hard not sweat in this condition. Adding to the heat, we have been jumping and dancing around before the game even started.

"Let's go Wolves!" we cheered, waving our pompoms in the air as we did another routine. When the ball was stolen by the other school, our crowd slowly went down and we had no choice but to turn to them and scream in order to lift up the school spirit.