Chapter Twenty-Two: Check and Mate

"Mom!" I yelled once I got home, "I need to talk to you."

Evan's tale somehow convinced me to speak to mom. Maybe, just maybe, if she hears about Will's infidelity, she might change her mind. Maybe I can see my mother again, the same one who I looked up to as my hero.

Mom must have thought from my rushed tone that it was some sort of emergency so she rushed right out of the kitchen, wearing an apron above her office clothes – meaning that she just got home as well. So that meant that Will is still not here since he gets off of work exactly an hour from mom, "What?"

"Will you believe me?" I questioned before I said anything else.

If I was her and she saw how rebellious I got, she wouldn't. But I hope, as a mother to her daughter, she will take my word.

"You're starting to scare me, Clara," she told me, "What happened?"

"Will you or will not believe me?!" I repeated the question again, staring right into her eyes to show her that I was indeed serious.

Her eyebrows scrunched up together but she nodded nonetheless, "Now tell me what it is."

Taking a deep breath, I clenched my fists to my side before I finally admitted, "Will's having an affair with Mrs. Matthews."

She froze for a moment, letting my words sink in. I expected that she would be shock, and to be honest, I was ready to be her shoulder to cry on, as awkward it may be.

Then, she rapidly blinked her eyes and as I stared into them, I saw how empty they were. As if the true happiness was sucked out of her system, and perhaps, it was something I failed to notice all this time. She let her other desires control her life, and now, it's turning its back onto her.

But then, to my complete surprise, she rolled her eyes before turning back to the kitchen, "That's not really something to joke about."

I gaped at her accusation before I rushed to follow her, "I'm telling the truth."

"Will is a good man," she said to me, "He's not someone to do that."

I held back a snort. Oh believe me, he is. Does she have any idea that when she's not here, Will and I deliberately avoid each other? It's not that hard considering the size of this house, but still, he knows that I was suspicious of him and I was well aware that he didn't like the extra baggage that my mom brought from her previous marriage.

It was freaking obvious, this guy wants a clean slate and the fact that I tagged along with my mom instead of moving with dad displeased him. When he was in charge of looking after me, he wouldn't care if I strut out of the house right in front of him at the middle of the night.

When I was a freshman, my mom was still extremely careful of my whereabouts so I couldn't leave that much when she was here. Not that I minded back then, I was still a baby compared to the populars.

But since I joined the cheer team, I started getting invited to the different house parties. Mom wasn't so keen on letting me do so and I just shrugged it off and stayed in my room. Then when during the times mom had to be out and Will was the one staying, I couldn't take being alone in the same roof as him.

I told him I was going to a party and he didn't even protested, he just waved me off.

The end results? I came home the next day with a horrible migraine. Will had the audacity to lie to mom and say that I snuck out instead of telling him.

My first reaction? This guy is one sick bastard.

"You can even ask Evan," I spoke, trying to convince this thickheaded woman, "He was there with me when I caught Will and his mom."