Chapter Twenty-Nine: Walmart Cupcakes

You know, Gray and I have been together for more or less forty-eight hours and we've reached that point of intimacy hat most couples who have been together for a long time hasn't even achieved yet. Then again, we've had a very funky relationship that has been going on for about two or three years.

But there was one thing we haven't done.

Sitting in the middle of a fancy ass restaurant as I peeked over, watching as Gray stared intently at the menu and is currently avoiding as much eye contact as he can. I'll admit, we've been awkward this whole time – from the moment he picked me up to this situation.

We have never been alone in a proper date before.

Okay, I've been on family dinners with Gray before and I've been going to lunch or dinner outs with our whole group, but never in this ordeal where there's just the two of us, having a proper meal.

"So have you decided what you want to eat?" he questioned, looking up at me.

Taken off-guard by his question, I jolted up a little before nodding, "Yeah, I think I'm having the salmon."

Oh jeez, this is out of character for the both of us.

Just in time, the waiter walked up to us, flashing us a smile, "Hello, what are we having tonight?"

Looking at each other, we stumbled in our words as we tried to say our order. The waiter, looking ever so confused, switched his gaze between us before nodding in understanding, holding back a laugh as he wrote down what we were saying.

This is so not us. We were like the king and queen of confidence in our high school and now we're acting like fools.

"So since this our first date..." he trailed off, lacing his fingers together after the waiter went off to place our orders, "Let's get to know each other."

I gave him an incredulous look and he sighed, "I know, this is crap."

"I think we've gotten too used to our normal routine that right now, we're so out of our element," I admitted, "But okay, let's just do this."

He tilted his before gesturing for me to start, taking a sip from his glass, "Well, my name is Clara Harper, I'm a cheerleader, my parents are divorced, and I'm kind of a bitch."

The old couple sitting on the table next to us looked over when they heard the last addition to my introduction. They gave us an obnoxiously offended look before turning back to their meal.

Gray grinned when he saw their reaction before he spoke, "And I'm Gray Martyn, I play football, I hate my brother, and I'm an asshole."

Once again, the couple glanced towards us, scrunching their noses in disgust. I bit my lip to hold back a laugh, looking down on my lap just as Gray added, "But I think you already know the last part."

"I'm a first-hand victim," I shrugged, "Hey I'm still here though."

And finally, the compromising atmosphere left.

"Then I promise to no longer be an asshole," he chuckled, lifting his glass of water, "Intentionally."

I laughed as I clinked our glasses together, "Just lessen it, being a frustrating jerk is part of the real you."

Another philosophy, love someone together with all of their flaws. Trust me, if you stay long enough, you'll be able to see their good side.

The waiter approached us holding a tray of our meal. He once again smiled politely as he set down the plates on our table, "Enjoy your dinner."

As the night went by, the food on our food were slowly consumed as our mindless chatter filled the air. Because of our vulgar language, the old couple still stole several glances towards our way, each one adding more to our growing amusement.