Chapter Twenty-One: Karate Chop

"You can't expect us not to hear from you all weekend and just stay put," Vivian whined as she, and the rest of the team, followed me around like always.

Pausing in my steps, I gave her a dry look before responding, "I do."

She groaned but still continued on pestering as I kept on walking. To be honest, I'm more stressed out than I expected. I thought that if I go to Hallie's wedding, I could find time to relax since all the worldly troubles I have here will just be at the back of my mind.

Nope. Instead, more things got piled up.

I spotted Erin talking to her friends at the hallway, her mouth turned down into a frown as I saw Side and Kick trying to comfort her. I raised a brow before shrugging, turning to the other hallway so I could avoid her. Maybe she finally found out about the problem with her mother and just like her brother, she's not taking it so well.

Then again, she doesn't have much of a right. Mrs. Matthews is not really her mother and the one who can mope around here is Evan. He first encountered his father cheating that led to the conception of his half-sister and now, he just caught his mother red-handed with a married man.

Speaking of which, the poor guy must still be so distraught right now.

"I'll see you girls in class," I told the group and before they can protest, I was off to find Evan.

Forget the rumor train, I just can't leave that guy alone to be depressed. I was the one who saw it with him and even though his buddies might know what he's going through, there was a bugging feeling that wouldn't be able to go away until I was assured that he was still functioning well.

When I caught his figure walking through the back door of the school, it was the exact moment when the warning bell rung. The students started scrambling around to get to their classes and while everyone was occupied, I sneaked out and followed him.

He was sitting by the bleachers with his group of friends, seemingly out of character for cutting classes. That was when I saw it – from his back pocket, he took out a box of cigarettes and placed one in-between his lips.

Now, I know when someone is a smoker. It's obvious from their physical features and there's always a lingering smell from them, but Evan certainly was not one.

Rushing to where they were sitting, I quickly marched up the bleachers, creating much unnecessary noise to grab their attention. Once I was right in front of them, I bent down and snatched the cigarette, dropping it down and stepping on it with my shoe, "Are you really going to go there?"

His buddies were surprised at my sudden appearance, but the boy in question was not. The bags under his eyes were a clear indicator that he wasn't able to get a blink of sleep last night and the fact that the box was still new and full except for about two to three pieces signaled that he just started this habit.

I reached out a hand, a gesture he has done multiple times for me. I was silent and so was he, but he quickly got the message and held onto it as I pulled him up and started dragging him away from his groupie.

"What just happened?" questioned the guy who I recognized was the one who allowed Evan to take refuge in his house.

I'm telling you what just happened and what's going to happen – I'm saving this guy's ass from doing something he and I are both going to regret.

"Where are you taking me?" he asked just as I stopped right in front of the school door. I held out a hand and silently told him to give me the whole packet.

When he reluctantly did, I walked over to the huge bin and threw it in there, eliciting a small protest from him, "Smoking is and never will be the answer. I'm stopping it before you sink into the point of no return."