Chapter Nineteen: Champagne and Wine

"I'm running so late," I screeched as I went down the stairs, looking nothing but frazzled. Peeking through the curtains, I let out a curse when I saw that the other bridesmaids were waiting outside by the van that would take us all to the hotel.

Running around the house, I tried to get myself ready on time. I left my room in a huge mess and I'm sure dad wouldn't appreciate it if he peeked inside.

Stopping to glance at the dining table, the two boys were nothing but relaxed as they observed me, eating their breakfast and drinking their coffee. The wedding isn't for another few hours so they have all the time in the world, while I have to get ready with Hallie and the other bridesmaids.

"Don't forget to eat," Evan reminded as he chewed on his toast, "Most important meal of the day."

Grabbing a piece of toast, I slapped the invitation on the table next to his plate, "That's the invite, I'll see you later. Dad will be with you the whole time and I'll be with you after the ceremony and at the reception."

Dad nodded as he said his goodbye. I, on the other hand, sprinted out of the house and into the van. One of my cousins, who was also part of the wedding party, breathed a sigh of relief, "Finally, Hallie has been calling us non-stop."

"Sorry," I apologized, "I woke up really late."

Leaning against my seat, I tucked away the stray piece of hair that broke out of the bun I carelessly put my hair into. I worry that I might have caused Hallie some unwanted stress on her special day. Then again, I've never been so panic like this in a very long time.

Like that little quote from Princess Diaries, a queen is never late, everybody else is simply early.

We arrived at the hotel and were sent up to the room. Hallie was already a mess as she held a wine glass on one hand and one of her white shoes on the other. She was hopping around over the things scattered on the floor and when she attempts to sit down, she'll be up on her feet in seconds.

I don't know what it's like to get married, but I'm afraid now.

"Let's get everyone to hair and makeup," one of the assistants of the wedding planner said, pushing all of the bridesmaids down on the individual chairs as a bunch of hairdressers and makeup artists started touching us.

Like seriously, don't touch me.

Did she even wash her hands? Wait, what is she doing to my hair?

"Clara, this was ringing in your purse," one of my cousins said, handing me my phone as one of the hair dressers slightly tugged on my locks while she was brushing it.

I was so intent on glaring at her that when I answered my phone, I forgot to check who it was, "Hello?"

"Finally!" I could heard Gray's voice say in victory.

Nope, nopity nope.

I quickly hung up and threw my phone on one of the cushioned couches in front of me, flailing around. Hallie saw this and she blinked at me, showing off a concerned face, "Anything wrong?"

Turning to her, I opened my mouth before my eyes zoomed in on the alcoholic drink in her hand. Tilting my head to the side, I spoke, "Mind if I get a little glass of wine?" I questioned with a sigh.

***

"We're here," the wedding planner announced as she opened the door of the van for us. One by one, we stepped out with our long peach colored gowns as we were handed our own small bouquets. I stared at the large church in front of me, the doors closed so all the guests are unaware of the happenings outside.