Chapter Thirty-Seven: Smile

"One, two," I clapped and the girls switched position, "Three, four," another switch," Five, six," they prepared for the lift, "Seven, eight," and up our flyers go.

Once their feet was back down on the ground and I nodded in approval before bending down to grab my water bottle, "Alright, that's enough for today."

Vivian, who decided to sit this practice out as she was still nursing her foot, stood up from the foldable chair she was occupying, "Finally!"

Rolling my eyes, I bent down so I could start shifting the mats to the side as the rest went to the locker rooms. Finishing up, I released my blonde hair from the constraints of the messy bun I placed it into before I stretched my arms over my head, trying to relieve my aching limbs.

It had been exactly three days since Gray apparently disappeared. We've decided to just let life move on like usual and when the day he comes back finally arrives, then we'll all start celebrating. As Bryan mentioned, it was better for everyone if we would all wait.

But my growing concern over his potential football scholarship and his records with the principal was unsettling.

If there was one thing that he wanted more than anything in the world, it was that scholarship. He wanted to impress those scouts, he was so desperate that he even listened to the principal's warnings – someone who enjoys riling up for the sake of it. He fucked up many things in his life, but the moment he mentions his dream, it made up for all the lack of seriousness he had previously shown.

Moving into the locker room, most of the girls were already saying goodbye. Wiping down the sweat from my body, I ran a comb through my hair and spritzed a bit of perfume before I decided that I was good to go.

"So where are you going?" Vivian huffed as she waited for the girl who she requested a ride home from.

She was being a baby once again and threw a fit when I told her that I couldn't drive her home today. After complaining multiple times that she couldn't possibly sit behind the wheel in her current condition, I finally gave in and offered her a ride to school. This basically implanted some ridiculous idea that I volunteered to be her personal chauffeur while that ankle of hers was still recovering.

I did promise to help her until she could walk straight again, but I'm nobody's servant. Besides, I really did have something else to do, "That's a little secret."

She pouted but when our teammate nodded at her, she pushed herself up from the bench and said goodbye before limping right after her.

I threw the girls who were still in the locker room a farewell before hurriedly leaving with my bag swinging over my shoulder. I raced to my car and when I practically slammed the car door, I bit my lip as I pulled out into the streets after a quick glance at the digital clock.

Although he did say that he was going to wait for me, practice stalled a little longer than I originally planned.

Pulling up towards the familiar building, I managed to snag a spot and maneuvered my car between two other vehicles. It was approaching dinner time so the lot started to fill up and I found myself luck that I managed to grab a space. From my rearview mirror, I saw his car parked at the opposite side of the area.

When I stepped out, I felt a slight shiver crawl through my skin and I cursed myself for not changing back into my leggings. I didn't bother with getting rid of my gym clothes for the outfit I wore earlier that day so I was standing in nothing but this thin shirt and cotton shorts – the ensemble did little to protect me from the winter weather that was threatening to come into town.