Chapter 7

Edited

It felt like his red glowing irises were poking holes into my own by how intense his stare was. He held my gaze for a few before stepping aside and gesturing to come inside with a small flick of his head. 

Once I was inside the familiar small hallway I put down the bags I had packed and sighed. ''So. Uhm. Firstly, please don't eat me. Secondly, my apartment... uh... well you see. Usually I am a great tenant and I always take care of the place I'm staying at. But... well...'' 

Admitting to now being homeless was incredibly hard for me, since I posessed a lot of pride and never had to but it aside for anyone before. Uta gave me all the time in the world to find the words I needed to explain to him what I was doing, which I immensly appreciated. 

Finally I let out a defeated sigh, ''I got evicted. And I don't have any other contacts beside you, and I've only just met you,'' my eyes shifted around the room, ''Can I stay with you for a little bit? Until I find a new place. I will start looking for a new place starting tomorrow, and I promise to be careful around your things.''

''You've just met me, but I've known you for longer,'' he didn't care if he sounded creepy. Which he did. ''Stay. I don't have a spare bedroom though so we're going to have to find a way to split mine,'' he gestured towards the bags on either side of me. 

I grabbed my belongings and followed him to the bedroom. I set my stuff back on the floor and stared at the bed already thinking about how I would share a bed with a ghoul that's been following me around for who knows how long exactly. 

He must have noticed my worried gaze, ''The floor is always an option if you are that much against sharing a space with me, I just thought it to be not very hospitable.''

''What if,'' I started ignoring his uncomfortable suggestion, ''We have our head on opposite sides of the bed?''

''And have toes in my face or knees kicking my gut?'' He frowned. 

I started laughing. My situation is anything  but laughable, but seeing the usually expresionless ghoul make such a face along with what he just said was too comedic. Upon hearing my laughter his gaze went back up to my face. 

''Sorry, sorry. That was just too funny. Yeah, you're right. We'll just share the bed normally but just keep our distance. Okay?''

He shrugged in response, ''Sure. You scared?''

Was this guy teasing me? 

''Yes.''

''Stop reading my mind!''

''If you quit saying your thoughts out loud, I'll think about it.'' 

Since when did I have this habit anyway? I'm stealth, not carelessness.

''If you want to take a shower, you know where to find the bathroom now. The kitchen is at the end of the hallway in case you want coffee.'''

''Uh, isn't the kitchen usually the place for more things then coffee? Why coffee specifically?''

''Ghouls drink coffee.'' I let that one sink in for a moment. So they hate the taste of human foods and liquids, except for water and... coffee? What Ghoul God decided this? ''You'd have to go get food for yourself if you want to eat. But do that tomorrow, it's safer.''

I remembered I wouldn't have any income for the next two weeks, which meant using the money from the emergecy fund I'd created. Well this is an emergency.

''I will be in my study if you need me,'' he turned around to leave before turning around once more. ''The study is the room where I make the masks you saw last time,'' he left. I wasn't sure if it was my imagination or not, but did he look me up and down before he turned to leave? I slapped my face lightly to pull myself back together.