Chapter 8

Edited

A few days passed by since then, only leaving me with 4 more days until I started my week of the Instructor's Acadamy. I had yet to see how Uta felt about it. I was expecting him to kick me out of his place, since I would basically be using a ghoul's kagune against them. 

The sound of the store's doorbell sounded signaling that there were customers. In the passed time Uta has made me into a worker of his mask shop. He told me that this would be much easier then trying to find a job elsewere. Not to mention that he wanted to keep me in his sights. 

"Hello, we wanted to buy a customized mask for our little girl here," the man gazed lovingly at his little girl as the second guy beside who had his hand interlocked with his added, ''It's her birthday tomorrow and we want to get her a mask that resembles her favorite animal.

The little girl had hazel brown hair that was put up into two spacebuns with short pieces of hair sticking out of the middle of the buns, resembling little fireworks. It reminded me of my own childhood when my sister would actually take care of me and make sure I was dressed up and feeling cute every day.

I followed the steps I got accustomed to in my few days of working here, which the first consisted of measuring the head. I lead the little girl into a room in the back of the store where a few chair were located as well as the measuring lint. 

"Take a seat," I told them while grabbing the measuring lint.
While measuring and writing down the number I couldn't help but feel someone's gaze on me. It didn't take me long to figure out he must've been in this room. I looked around the room and finally spotted him leaning against the furthest wall observing me. 

I rolled my eyes slightly while surpressing a slightly embarassed smile.

"Alright, what's your name sweetheart?"

"Avery," she said in her cute little voice. I noted her name above the numbers.

"So, Avery, what's your favorite animal?"

''Racoons!'' 

***

I was currently at the grocery store buying some food to store into Uta's kitchen. He was telling the truth when he said that coffee was the only human fuel ghouls could stomach, since there was nothing but coffee. 

I first filled my cart with some necessities such as bread, oats, rice, pasta and potatoes, the base of every one of my meals. Then I visited the vegetable and fruit section followed by the snacks. I loved me some (F/S) as a snack. My mouth started to water as I thought about the taste of it. I should buy two or maybe even three of those. Make it four.

Lastly I decided to visit the meat section to buy some (vegan/vegetarian/bio) meat so I get some protein in as well. Burgers sounded nice, with some cooked slightly caramelized red onion and some more toppings. I was crouching when I finally found the product I decided on. Standing back up I turned to put the burgers in my cart when I bumped into someone. 

''Oh, sorry,'' I apologized without looking up. 

''No, I should be the one apologizing, (Y/N).''

I looked up at the face of the man that knew my name and recognized him immediately. A chill ran down my spine as I recalled the events of two years ago.