Chapter 27

Unedited

I waited until Uta was fast asleep. He looked so un harmful while sleeping, it was cute. I wonder how I looked like sleeping. Probably like an orangoutang that passed out after being in a roller coaster for too many times.

I slowly untangled myself from him and tried to get off of the bed without making too much noise. I was now standing and went out of the room. I silently cheered and mentally patted my shoulder.

I was still in Uta's sweater, my shorts and my thigh high white socks. I threw on my combat boots and grabbed his keys, before going out of the house.

I wasn't running away or anything, I was just too hungry and I swear, another day without food in my stomach and it'll feel like someone's kagune piercing through my stomach. In other words, I would die.

I walked around until I heard a dog barking and without a second thought, I was running to where the barking came from. I saw a dog barking at... A car.

I slowly walked towards the scene and the dog turned to me and started growling, baring its teeth. Yeah, right, as if I would be scared of it.

I ignored the dog and peered inside the car, looking for any signs of life when I found nothing. Absolutely nothing. I shifted my attention to the dog and acted scared. I started running towards a dark ally way, thinking this would make the dog feel like it had power over me and eventually follow me.

And it did just that.

Once we were completely covered by the shadows of the night, I turned and waited for the dog to attack. He lunged at me with his mouth wide open.

The impact made me stumble but I managed to grab a hold of his jaw and I pulled his mouth apart, ripping it. The dog wasn't growling anymore, it was howling out in pain. Before it could catch any attention I quickly bit onto his shoulder, affectively killing it.

This should do it as my meal. It seriously hurt me inside that I had come to this. Killing animals, it was so sad. If I wasn't a ghoul I surely would've turned vegetarian. But now, I didn't had a choice. It was kill, or die.

I ate painfully slowly just so I wouldn't get hungry for a while. I hate this.. This killing. I guess this would be something I won't ever get used to.

After finishing, I grabbed what was left of the dog and quietly sprinted with the coverage of the shadows to the woods. I lay the dog there for the insects to eat him further and checked myself for any signs of blood.

Noting that I made a clean kill I casually walked back towards Uta's place alongside all the cars.
I went pretty far away, because I passed CCG along the way and their building was far from the mask shop.

Without having any problems along the way I reached home.

Home, was this my home? Or was I still crashing until I found an own place?

Sleep had totally left me so I just went inside the mask shop. Lucky for me, he gave me his spare key when I first came here so I can come here whenever I felt like it.

Closing the door behind me, I looked for the light switch.

"Where were you?"

My heart leaped but I stood stock still listening where his voice came from. It was still pitch black and my eyes had difficulty adjusting to it. I could here his breathing and it was coming from behind me.

I didn't move though. I was rather curious then scared for his next move. After all, he wouldn't hurt me. That I was sure of.

"I'm asking you one last time, where were you?"

I refused to stutter so I gave him a short answer. "Outside."

"Why?" I felt his presence slowly coming closer.

"Hungry."

"Why not waking me up? I may have been hungry too."
By now my back was touching his front and I felt him dip his head to the crook of my neck. "Selfish."

I swallowed. He's right. I should have woken him. I was just about to apologize when the next words made me freeze.

"And selfish girls need to be punished."