The Dress

Chapter 6

(The Dress)

Callista arrived at the dining room to find she was the last to arrive.There was no way she could eat. The ball was tomorrow and she was more than a little nervous.

“Are you alright dear?” Alana asked. The others in the room could magically sense that the young girl was troubled. Alana had no magic any more but she knew her granddaughter well.

“No. Yes, I don’t know,” The teenage girl fully admitted.

“What’s wrong?” Linna inquired becoming concerned for the girl.

“Oh I don’t know. The ball is tomorrow and I could end up falling on my face just trying to enter the ballroom!” Callista buried her face in her hands. “Not to mention all the other things that could go wrong if I don’t break my neck to begin with!” She pouted.

“Callista you didn’t fall once yesterday,” Marianna said encouragingly. “You’re going to be fine.”

“I so don’t want to mess up tomorrow,” Callista sighed.

Alana looked at her granddaughter with sympathy. She knew the girl was extremely nervous. The teenager was so nervous if she didn’t calm down everything she feared might actually happen. “When have you ever failed?”

Callista looked at the aging woman. “What?” She said cocking her head to the side.

Alana smiled warmly at the girl. “Do you remember the night before your first state soccer championship?”The girl nodded and she didn’t hide she was thinking back on the time. “You were so worried you couldn’t eat just like now. You were so afraid you’d let your team down.”

“They were counting on me.”

“Yes they were,” Alana agreed. “Those girls were unsure as they headed for the locker rooms and so were you. You stepped on to that field and as you approached the ref for the coin toss the other team’s captains stepped back. You didn’t let your team down you demanded that your team win and you did. There is nothing you can’t do. Just think of it, as a new sport.”

Callista thought about what her grams had said. It might have been a stretch for anyone else to connect two very different things but for Callista it made sense.“I don’t know what I’d do without you Gram!” Callista announced. “Are there any muffins?”

Embry waived his hand and a banana nut muffin appeared before her. Callista looked at him and smiled a thank you. The prince simply nodded.

The teenage girl looked at Queen Shaylene. “When will guests start to arrive?”

“Tomorrow morning,” The Queen of the Fae replied. “Are you starting to feel a little excited now?”

“I’m not sure if it’s excitement or if I just want to get it over with,” Callista said openly honest. She watched as several of them smirked. “Is there anything I’m supposed to do tomorrow? I mean outside of not embarrassing all of you at the ball tomorrow?”

Beven actually chuckled. “You will be kept out of sight until the ball tomorrow,” He told the curious girl. Seeing her showing more interest pleased him.

“Today you will chose a dress,” Marianna announced. Callista looked at her. Marianna was a little too excited about the whole dress thing for the teenage girl to be comfortable with.

“It’s going to be a long day,” Callista sighed picking up her glass of water.

“And it’s time to get started,” Linna said noting the time. Callista watched her get up and rolling her eyes got up as well. She looked at her grandmother with hope but Alana only smiled and shooed her away with a flick of her hand. With a shrug she left the room following Linna and Marianna.