Tutela Veneficus

Chapter 44

(Tutela  Veneficus)

The cemetery was empty as Callista and her friends quietly began making their way toward the grave of their fallen friend. A sense of sadness flowed through the mortal raised girl and her friends the deeper into the graveyard they went.

It wasn’t long and they stood before Andrew’s grave. Callista smiled and looked over at Brandy. Pink tulips told her she had been the last one to leave flowers.

“You missed your day,” The brown haired girl said quietly.

Callista reached over and with tears in her eyes said, “Thank you,” As she hugged her. Brandy returned the hug and releasing her, the trio of girls walked over to the Marble tomb stone and touching it they retreated to give their friend some privacy.

Cavin frowned at the site of his charge. It was obvious the fallen boy had been very important to the princess. Hearing he had been her best friend hadn’t surprised him but it had made him curious about the affect the loss of the boy had been on the young princess.

He watched as her friends gave a sign of respect for their friend and then back away. They’d gone so far as to come as far back as they were.

“How did he die?” Cavin asked the trio of solemn girls.

“A group of us had gone to the movies,” Lola said sadly. “We all walked home. It was nothing abnormal.”

“All of us split off as we reached our different streets,” Jenna added and wiped a tear away from her cheek.

“Andrew, Callista, and Brian and I were the last,” Brandy told them. “We came to our street and Brian and I went one way and Callista and Andrew went the other.” Looking over at the captain she added, “Callista and Andrew lived next door to each other.”

“Something went wrong,” Chale said watching the trio.

Brandy nodded and the three girls started to cry. “It was never her fault.”

“It was just wrong place at the wrong time,” Lola told them.

“Callista blamed herself. I think she still does,” Jenna said. Knowing they still didn’t understand she took a breath before she started to speak again. Knowing she was the most able to speak she said, “Callista and Andrew were passing by a construction site and a group of guys came out.” Jenna’s voice quivered faintly and then she took another breath to steady herself.

“They went after Callista,” Brandy told the inhabitants of Shalace. “Assholes decided they wanted her. She was 14!” The brown haired girl added angrily.

“Andrew fought them but…they stabbed him,” Jenna said looking over at where Callista was knelt down by her friend’s grave.