What is to come

Chapter 47

(What is to Come)

Callista stood silently looking out at the stars from her balcony. She’d always loved star gazing; always found it breath taking. Here in Shalace she had found the stars were so much brighter. Looking at them now it made it hard to believe that something so beautiful was looking down at a world that might be only moments from war.

Her eyes looked down as a feeling of sadness washed over her. She’d entered Shalace with her grandmother; the woman that had raised her and always been there for her. It saddened her to know the woman she had loved so much was gone. Alana was alive but she had sacrificed her soul for immortality and beauty. She’d even been willing to sacrifice Callista for the same things.

Callista’s thoughts soon fell on the other members of her Shalace family. Abron and Shaylene were dead as was Beven. She couldn’t say she was heartbroken over their deaths. She had been angry with them but didn’t wish death on anyone. Callista wasn’t heartless. It wasn’t she didn’t care she just didn’t know them. They hadn’t tried to get to know her save for Embry. Her thoughts immediately went to him. He’d always been kind and accepting of her. Why wouldn’t Shalace simply choose him? They had to be wrong. Perhaps it hadn’t been revealed yet but Callista simply couldn’t be the future queen of Shalace. It just didn’t make sense to the young woman.

As she thought of Embry though her thoughts turned back to Alana and more questions entered her head over her royal ties to the Seelie Court. How was Alana a Lady if she was King Abron and Queen Shaylene’s daughter? Didn’t that make her grandmother a princess?

Callista stepped away from the balcony and heading back into her room she decided she wanted some answers. She entered the hallway but her guards were not there. It didn’t matter though she knew how to find Cavin, just as he could always find her; the advantage to a bond between a captain and their charge.

She walked through the hallway and as she neared the throne room she heard laughter. Hearing Lola laugh however made her consider returning to her room. ‘What are they telling them about me now?’ she grumbled to herself. She reached the throne room to see Jenna on her back and Lola sitting on Brandy’s back who appeared to have fallen over Jenna.

Callista blinked and mentally tried to figure out what happened before giving up. “Do I even want to know?” The Dark Elf Princess asked.

“Uh... I don’t even know if we can figure out what happened,” Brandy commented looking completely confused.

“I’ll take your word for it.” Callista looked up at where Cavin stood by Tae near her father’s throne. “Why was my grandmother a Lady instead of a princess?”

“That’s what I forgot to ask!” Lola said getting up off Brandy’s back. “Shouldn’t she have been a princess of she was the king and queens daughter?”

“Yeah what is up with that?” Jenna agreed sitting up.

“Lady Alana was born a princess,” Cavin began.

“So what happened?” Jenna asked.

“He can’t tell us if you interrupt,” Lola said in a sing-song type voice. Jenna glared at the redhead but fell silent.

“King Abron wanted Lady Alana to marry Prince Vlance of Springwell,” Cavin explained. “She refused finding him to be very…free shall we say where women were concerned. She did not wish to enter into a loveless marriage simply because her father wanted access to a spring believed to hold great knowledge. “Angry Abron declared she would marry him or forfeit the title of princess and become a guardian for the kingdom.”