Fear comes out

Chapter 41

(Fear comes out)

It took Callista a little while to recover but soon enough the weakness she felt was gone. Instead a different feeling began to take over her. Her eyes had fallen on the Webbed Forest not long after she’d sat down to rest from helping the Labyrinth heal. She still wasn’t sure how she’d done it but at the moment she didn’t care.

Looking at the forest before her the excitement of a challenge was no longer there. When she’d faced the Webbed Forest the first time it had been the excitement of the game that surged through her. She didn’t feel that way now. The realizations began to take over her emotions.

The Dark Elf Princess had entered the challenge knowing she might lose but the question had never been of survival. Yet that was what it had become during her run. “I would’ve been killed,” She said softly as the truth began to truly dawn on her.

Waves of emotions began to flow through her as everything suddenly came crashing down on her. All the emotion she had suppressed over her time in Shalace hit her in a rush she couldn’t stop.

Tears streamed down the young woman’s face as all the danger began to be recognized. Callista had fought to keep her emotions in check. She had refused to show emotion the way others would have in her situation. Fear of others seeing her as weak or a burden had caused her to allow nothing to truly penetrate her. She’d put up a wall so no one would see how she was feeling deep down. The constant changing of things had allowed her to keep herself constantly looking forward and not given her time to truly reflect on anything. Here in the Labyrinth her true existence began to reveal itself to her.

Images of her time in the mortal realm began to flash through her head causing the tears to fall even harder. With no one around the princess let herself feel for the first time since coming to Shalace.

**

Cavin was just getting done with his daily training when he felt a surge of complete sadness from his charge. The captain wasted no time and immediately headed for the Labyrinth. He quickly approached a closed wall and stopped. “I know you can hear me Labyrinth. Her highness needs me.” The captain knew the Labyrinth wouldn’t speak to him but hoped it would listen and allow him within its vast pathways and aid him in reaching her. It was almost immediate the Labyrinth opened a passage that had not been there.

“Thank you. I would appreciate your help in reaching her quickly.” Cavin was somewhat amazed when the Labyrinth seemed to not only have heard him but agreed with him. Instantly a well designated path was put before him. “Thank you,” He told the great maze and quickly began making his way through the Labyrinth to the Princess he was responsible for.

The more Cavin made his way through the pathways the more appreciative he was of the Labyrinth aiding him. He knew it would have taken him forever if the Labyrinth didn’t open a straight path to The Dark Elf Princess. What would have taken him hours took him mere minutes.

He was a little surprised when the path seemed to narrow drastically but followed anyway. A moment later he understood. Sitting on a rock with her back to him was Callista. “Thank You,” He said quietly and stepped out of the forest and into the open area she was sitting in.