What we want

Chapter 33

(What we want)

It was late as Aidan sat at his desk looking over a few things. Finding he couldn’t concentrate he put the documents down and leaned back in his chair. He looked over at the window and watched as the rain lightly tapped on it. As he watched his thoughts drifted to the woman he would marry.

Feeling the need to walk the king got up and left his office. Casually he began walking through the halls as he thought about his conversations with Callista. The princess made him think about things he’d never considered before.

Aidan had never planned to marry. For him women were for pleasure. He kept them around until he’d taken what pleasures he wanted and then cast them aside. They were nothing to him. The King didn’t waste time on conversations with them. They were just for amusement. Callista had changed things.

“Sire? Are you alright?” Chale inquired seeing a look he’d never seen before on his face.

“Yes, no, I don’t know,” The king said openly honest with his captain. “I need to walk.”

“Perhaps I could accompany you?” His captain suggested. Aidan shrugged and the captain began walking at his side.

They’d been walking for a few minutes in silence when Chale decided he didn’t like seeing his king in this state. “Is there anything I can do to help? You seem…very distracted shall we say?”

“Distracted,” The King repeated. Aidan stopped and looked at the man walking beside him. “You’ve known me for years.”

“Indeed,” The captain agreed.

“I have faced many things with you by my side. War, traitors, rebellion, death, and several angry men.” Chale nodded. The captain even smirked with the angry men remark. “Why is it one woman can make me question things I never thought I would?”

“What woman could… the princess,” Chale said realizing. “Did you two have an argument I don’t know about?” He asked becoming concerned.

“No.”

“Let’s step into the library,” Chale suggested. The monarch didn’t argue and followed his captain inside. The captain closed the doors and quickly made sure they were alone.

“It’s just us Aidan. What has you questioning yourself?” Chale asked not as a captain but a friend.

“I never planned to marry Chale. You know this.”

“Yes I do. I believe you planned to use a consort for a time to gain an heir if I remember correctly.”

“Yes. I planned to gain and heir and then banish whomever, bore me the heir,” The Goblin King announced. “Callista and I were talking about expectations today of our marriage.”