Fencing with a King

Chapter 17

(Fencing with a King)

Callista opened her curtains to peer outside. She opened the door to her balcony and stepped out into the sunshine. The sky was the shade of blue that caused a person to smile. It was clear and completely void of even a wisp of a cloud. The sun felt warm and inviting. The air felt like the temperature was about 75 degrees. Not hot or cold. It was perfect. It was the perfect temperature for a game of basketball. Smiling almost mischievously she left her balcony. She picked up her basketball and left her room.

She was surprised to open her door and for the first time find no guards. She shrugged it off and headed out for the basketball court. Callista walked through the castle listening to the sounds of dribbling the ball bounce of the castle’s stone walls. Anyone that heard the sound would know what she was up to.

Callista passed a few guards and nodded as they bowed to her as she walked out of the castle and into the court area. The teenage girl put the ball down and stretched her muscles and then began doing her normal drills. Once she was warmed up she began sinking baskets.

The princess continued sinking basket after basket completely unaware that she was no longer alone. She was so focused she hadn’t heard anyone.

“Callista!”

“Huh?” The teenage girl stopped and turned to see not only her father but The Goblin king and soldiers from both kingdoms. “Oops. Sorry,” Callista apologized. Suddenly remembering her protocol she curtsied to her father and Aidan.

“I can see you are quite capable of focusing,” Aidan commented. “That should help with the training.”

“Did I screw up at the ball bad enough I need a second tutor?” Callista said suddenly looking depressed.

“What? No. King Aidan is here to teach you to fence,” Soren announced.

“Oh. Good,” The teenage girl said relaxing. Looking at Aidan she said, “I hope your patient.” Seeing Moryn glance away she bit her bottom lip trying to repress a giggle.

“I believe we will manage,” Aidan said holding back a smirk. He looked over her outfit and shook his head.

“You’re not going to make me put a dress on are you?” Callista asked pleadingly looking from one king to the other.

“No. I don’t think a dress is the best thing for you to begin learning in,” Aidan announced. Looking at Soren he asked, “Has her armor arrived yet?”

“I was bringing it now.” Aidan and Soren looked to see Enon approach with a box. He bowed to the king and then looked at the princess.

“I guess I’ll get changed,” The princess announced. Taking the box from Enon she said, “Thank you Enon.” A quick bow to the kings and she was off.

“Your new Armor is also in highness,” Enon informed Prince Moryn. The prince nodded and the Arms master looked at King Aidan. “Should you require anything for the princess let me know. I put a few different swords in the training room for her to practice with. Once you have found the sword that is best for her I will have one specially made that will be hers.”

“Thank you Enon.” The Dark elf nodded and looked at the Dark elf king he bowed and left their presence.

Callista arrived at her room and walked in to see Darla standing there waiting. The dark elf smiled at her and said, “I understand your garments have arrived.”

“Let’s see what Enon came up with,” The teenager announced. She set the box down and opened the lid. Seeing green material she lifted it out of the box. “It’s a dress!” Callista said more than a little surprised. “Is this a joke?” She asked and looked at the dark elf woman.