Learning to Feel Again

Chapter 6

(Learning to Feel Again)

Jarrod’s point of view

It was late as I looked over at where Star had fallen asleep in her oversized plush chair. Her face was peaceful; she looked like an angel. Looking at her now, you’d never know she could be stubborn and firm when she wanted to be.I’d been with Star for almost a week now I’d learned a few things about her.

Star kept a very clean and tidy house. An unfortunate glance in her roommate, Emma’s, room reflected how different the girls were. I’d have to ask my new companion how she ever ended up around Emma. They seemed as different as night and day.

My jaw barely hurt now. With any luck I’d finally be able to talk tomorrow. Looking at the clock, I realized it was only a few minutes to midnight. ‘Maybe by the end of the day,’ I thought to myself.

Getting up, I walked over to where Star slept. I hated her sleeping on the couch, but she refused to let me sleep on the couch; saying I was injured. I’d probably send Mira through the air if she had said something like that to me, but not Star. The more time I spent around her, the more I liked her.

Besides being very neat and tidy, the woman was a hell of a cook. I smiled as I thought about the meals she’d prepared me. ‘I need to speak to Grant about asking Star to teach Lydia to cook.’ I shuddered as I remembered the woman’s last attempt at cooking. Disaster was an understatement, I still didn’t know what it was we ate; I was guessing a tire.

Gently, I picked her up out of the chair, and making the short trek to the couch, I lay her down on it. I would prefer to put her in her bed, but something told me I would regret it if I did. With a sigh I went to the closet and pulled out a blanket. I covered her up and then sat in the chair she had previously occupied.

The scent of her perfume filled my nostrils. It wasn’t overpowering though; unlike most women, Star gave only a light mist. The scent of vanilla soothed me somehow. ‘Why do I feel calm around you?’ I thought as I looked at the sleeping girl. I’m not the type of guy to explore my feelings. Hell, until now, I’d pretty much only felt anger and hate for the last couple of years. Watching the blonde woman sleep however, I began to realize how different I felt.

There were times I felt frustrated, but not angry. Even though I couldn’t actually speak, Star seemed to read me well. She’d look into my eyes and smile, and for a moment any frustration would vanish. I felt a strange feeling as I thought about this. ‘Oh Shit! I’m falling for her.’ I had to fight the urge to go to the nearest wall and repeatedly bang my head. ‘What am I thinking?! She’s human and all hell’s about to break loose with vampires and potentially Max’s pack and I’m letting myself fall for a pretty human?! I’m an idiot!’

I rubbed a hand over my face. ‘What the hell am I going to do now?’ I asked myself. I didn’t know. The one thing I did know though, was that I had to protect Star from any immortals. She’d saved my life and I’d do everything possible to return the favor.

**

Star’s point of view

I opened my eyes and was surprised to find myself on the couch. ‘How did I get here?’ I wondered. Looking at the blanket however, I knew; it was Jarrod. If it wasn’t for the fact that he’d gotten me my fuzzy Pink blanket down, I wouldn’t have known. My blanket had been on a high shelf; I couldn’t have reached it without a stool.

A smile spread across my face as I thought of the hazel eyed man. He was handsome and looked like a bad boy. Not someone I would normally go for, but I had to admit, I was attracted to him. I gave an internal smirk as I thought about the dark haired man being a “Bad boy”. Jarrod hadn’t acted like the typical bad boy with me since he’d been here. He always acted like a gentleman. I’d had to actually be very firm with him about staying in my room. Alright, I was stubborn and insistent, but I got my way.