At Fault

Chapter 17

 (At Fault)

Chang’s point of view

I looked down at Star and felt instant relief. She had a bump on her head, but the tests Preston had done came back normal. There were no signs of a concussion or any brain damage. He’d also learned that almost all of the blood on her was not hers. I admit I wondered whose blood it was, but what mattered was Star would be fine.

Watching her sleep I wondered and also dreaded how she might react once she awakened. I knew she wouldn’t wakeup before I had her safely within Shlisselburg Fortress. My father’s other human servant, Preston, was seeing to that. It wasn’t necessarily how I wanted it, but my father felt it was best.

I watched her breath from where I sat beside her. Even lying there with wet stained hair I thought she was beautiful; however, I’d seen her with wet hair many times when I’d watched her surf. She surfed so often you might think she was half fish; at least she did before Jarrod.

The very thought of Jarrod made me angry. He had failed in protecting her from his enemies. They all had. No one should have even been able to lay a hand on Star!

Zakhar’s point of view

I pretended not to notice my son studying the unconscious girl, but I was well aware he was relieved. Had Star been dying, he would have turned her to save her. I had no doubt about that. I was also aware he would not be pleased if he had to turn her sooner than he wanted.

Sensing a surge of anger I looked over at him and saw the look in his eyes; though he was not facing me. Chang was angry she’d gotten hurt and I knew he blamed the wolf for not protecting her. Knowing how angry Chang might become, I decided to take a moment and play the supportive father; but only in secret.

Chang. I called to him. Chang and I were connected by blood and so I could communicate through our minds. I could do the same with any fledgling, but the bond was stronger through children. He looked at me and I looked away.

The girl is safe.I told him. Calm yourself. I would suggest you rest while you can. There is no telling how much work she’ll be when she awakens.

She could’ve been killed!My son said angrily.

That may be true; but she was not. Rest. You are responsible for her now. I told him in an encouraging tone.

Chang didn’t reply, but I saw him lean back in his chair allowing himself to take a more relaxed position. We both knew the blonde woman wouldn’t wakeup before we reached our destination; Preston was seeing to that. I know Chang didn’t want the girl kept sedated, but having her wake up and possibly react violently while we traveled at 35,000 feet was not something I considered to be a good idea. She could react any way she wished once inside the fortress but not here. I’d learned from my mistake with Chang’s mother.

Jarrod’s point of View

I felt guilty as I stood on the deck looking out at the dark forest. The memory of seeing Chang carrying Star away tore at me.  I tried to run toward her but two more wolves jumped me.  By the time I was free, Chang was gone and so was Star.

“It’s not your fault.” Kyle stated.

“Yes, it is, I failed her!” I said angrily.

“We failed her,” Kyle told me. I looked at him and expected to see blame in his eyes but there was none. He did feel every bit as responsible as I did.

“I’m the one that failed.” Kyle and I both looked back to see a very somber looking Tye. “I was the one that was supposed to get her out of there.”

“It isn’t any of your faults,” Lydia said walking out. “None of us expected what happened. That wasn’t just Titan’s pack; he had gotten others!” The blonde woman huffed.

“Placing blame won’t help us get her back,” Grant said. “We know who has her; we just have to find out where.”

“Yeah, well, if Jarrod hadn’t killed our captive we might already know that,” Bobby remarked. I looked at him. I’d meant to glare but, realizing he had a point, I looked down.

“Are you serious?” I shifted my eyes to Lydia. “We can still find out.”

“How?” Kyle asked.

Lydia smiled an evil smile and said, “We still have Kathy and Mitch; though I’m betting Kathy knows. Personally, I don’t mind smacking the bitch around to make her talk.”

“I’ll hold her for you,” Kyle offered suddenly looking pleased. Lydia smiled at him and I got the feeling I might have missed something.

“So what do we do about Titan?” Tye asked. “We need to get Star back, but we also have to deal with him.”

“Him and that bitch Patricia,” Lydia said crossing her arms angrily and letting out a growl. “I can’t believe she tried to force a bonding between you last night!”

“At least she didn’t succeed,” Kyle said calmly. “I don’t want her.”

“You better not or I’ll kick your ass!” She said while flipping a piece of blonde hair out of her face and abruptly heading inside.”

I was more than a little surprised by her reaction and what she’d said. ‘Lydia doesn’t usually act this way with people she doesn’t know very well,’ I thought to myself. I shrugged it off. Whatever was up with her wasn’t as important to me as finding out where my girl was and how to get her back.

“Let’s see what Mitch knows. If he’s useless, we’ll call Max and get Kathy,” I announced.

“Okay, but you can’t hit him,” Bobby said slightly teasing me. I didn’t argue and we headed for the basement.