A chat in the hall

Chapter 22

(A chat in the hall)

Jarrod’s point of view

I needed to get away. I walked outside and quickly walked over to my new red motorcycle and climbed on. I revved the engine and I was off. I rode quickly through the streets before finally driving up to a lookout point and looked at the crashing waves below. I sat there looking down at the waves. The temperature had turned cooler. The sky was overcast with gray clouds. I looked down to watch the waves crashing against the rocks below.

I sighed as a thought of Star came to me. We hadn’t been bonded yet so I couldn’t just find her. Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on how you looked at it, I knew who she was with. Chang had my girl. I hated the idea of her being with the Asian man but there was nothing I could do about it right now.

As my thoughts went to the blonde woman I feared what he might be telling her. I wanted to say I feared he’d hurt her but I didn’t. I’d seen him holding Star as he took her. He’d held her carefully; the way I would’ve. There were a lot of things in my life I didn’t want to face and the fact Chang might actually care about her was one of them. ‘What am I going to do if I lose her?’ I thought to myself.

Some of my pack members had told me not to worry and that Chang could never steal her from me. But there were things about my past even they didn’t know.  Things that happened before I’d joined this pack; mistakes I’d made long ago. There was really only one thing that scared me that Star could learn about.

There was a time when Chang’s family and mine had known each other. Chang and I had even once been friends. When things went sour between our parents, however, things between us quickly deteriorated.

I can still remember the night my father sent us to get Chang and force a formal confrontation. We’d waited in an alleyway for Chang and his group to pass us by. I was angry at the time; to angry to control my actions. When he came by I snapped and we attacked. I’d gotten so caught up in my anger and determination I’d made a terrible mistake.

In the attack a little girl had gotten in the way. I’d literally ripped her head off. I had thought she was a child vampire but I was wrong. The girl, Paige I think I’d heard them call her, was human and now dead. I hadn’t realized the child was human though until after Chang and his woman escaped. It was then I realized the mistake but it was too late. I’d accidentally killed an innocent human child.

My eyes focused on the scenery before me. Killing the little girl is the only mistake I’ve ever made and truly regretted. The only bad thing I’ve ever done that made me fear losing Star. Star loved children and was so good with them. Star was so damn beautiful inside and out,  I just wasn’t sure she could forgive this monumental mistake. It just might be too much to ask. My pack didn’t know about it or they wouldn’t have been so quick to assure me everything would be okay.

I regretted it but I don’t accept full blame for it. I was angry and with good reason. My mother was lying in a hospital bed fighting for her life thanks to Chang hitting her with his car. We knew it was Chang; the camera outside the house showed his car hit her and then drive away. Luckily my father and his enforcers had come home within in minutes of it happening, otherwise, she’d have died for sure. My anger got the best of me but Chang was as guilty for the mistake as I was.

**

Zakhar’s point of View

It was late as I returned from a meeting with a group of investors. I hadn’t heard from anyone and wasn’t sure if that was a good sign or a bad one. I was leaning towards good because I hadn’t received frantic phone calls that Star had gone ballistic. Then again she could’ve killed everyone. Highly unlikely but…the human woman seemed to be full of surprises. I still couldn’t believe the woman would look into my eyes the way she did. Most everyone avoided my eyes including my wife, Li Ming.