Not What I Needed

Chapter 23

(Not what I needed)

Jarrod’s point of view

It was just after seven as I pulled up to the pack house. I wasn’t surprised to see more cars there than had been there in the past. Cord had been over often as had his pack members ever since the whole fiasco started. Max was there as well. It was a red hummer, however, that did catch my attention. I’d never seen it before.

I parked my motorcycle next to the garage and headed inside. There was a smell in the air that while familiar I couldn’t quite place. It was a perfume I hadn’t smelled in years. I walked past the hummer and more familiar scents filled my nose. Passing by the front passenger door I let out a curse. Of all the fucking rotten lock.

Part of me wished it was Titan that had shown up demanding my head. But no it had to be worse. I opened the front door and walked inside.

“Running a little late?” Grant asked in a less than pleased tone. “It seems you forgot to mention something when you came to my pack.

“How did you find me?” I asked.

“It wasn’t easy,” my father replied. “I understand our old friends Chang and Zakhar have taken your girlfriend.”

“What are you doing here?” I asked less than pleased.

“You need me.”

“No, I don’t,” I replied.

**

Star’s point of view

The sun was out shining brightly but the temperature and the snow on the ground left little hope that it would suddenly warm up. I was a little surprised when Chang agreed to let me walk outside of the fortress. The grass was covered in snow but I knew it was there. I’d seen the color of green before the snow had fully covered it.

On a slightly higher area halfway between the fortress and the docks I stood and looked out at the lake. Chang had been somewhat quiet the last few days; I had too. My mind was still trying to wrap around everything Chang had said and everything I knew about Jarrod. Something didn’t fit. In the past I had thought Chang must be a viscous hateful vampire but I couldn’t say that now. Yes he had taken me prisoner but he had also saved my life.

I believed Chang’s story. The look in his eyes told me he was telling the truth. I saw such pain in them when he spoke of Paige and Amelia. Chang had admitted he had used vengeance to strike at Jarrod in the past; I even knew he could use me. Yet something told me…he wouldn’t. Not simply to hurt Jarrod anyway.

A sigh escaped me as I thought of Jarrod. The bad boy wolf I seemed to have tamed just slightly. A smile crossed my face at the thought. Jarrod tame? No, never. There was far too much of a wild side to him.

My eyes fell on a boat and for a millisecond I considered running for it. I knew I’d never make it. Chang would have me before I took two steps. I shifted my eyes away and looked out further wondering if I was there long enough could I swim the distance to get to shore. The idea made me think of Kyle.

Slowly I looked back to see Chang. While Chang looked calm, his eyes did not. Calmly I turned to face him. I knew he would never allow me to contact Jarrod but maybe he’d let me call my brother. Keeping my voice calm I said, “I want to make a phone call.” Before Chang could deny my request I said, “I want to talk to my brother.”

“Kyle,” The Asian man said knowing full well who he was. I nodded. “Star I…”

“Please,” I told him. “I need to know he’s okay and if he is he’s probably worried about me. You and Jarrod are openly hostile to each other and he’s going to be scared you’ll hurt me.”