Where am I?

Chapter 19

(Where am I?)

Chang’s point of view

Star looked at me and I knew there would be no changing her mind. I also knew I’d have to tell her everything; even things that were not favorable to me.

“Don’t even think of trying to get out of answering me,” Star told me in open warning.

“I am not trying to avoid your question, Star. It is more a matter of where do I begin?” The half- oriental, half-vampire began. “How much do…” I stopped surprised to hear the door abruptly open.

“He, here,” My mother informed me from the doorway. At first I wasn’t sure whom she meant until she glanced in the direction of Star.

“Thank you, mother.” I looked at Star. “We will continue this after I take care of…something. You may roam the castle but do not attempt to try to leave.” Before she could object I quickly left the room.

**

Star’s point of view

I was not pleased as Chang left the room so abruptly I couldn’t even object. ‘Sure you aren’t trying to avoid talking to me,’ I thought to myself. I gave out a sigh and then looked at the oriental woman still standing in the doorway.

Chang’s mother was dressed in an oriental black dress. Dragons were embroidered all over it. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t think it was beautiful. Her eyes were black and though I felt a little uncomfortable by her stare it was not threatening. I felt like she was studying me but not in a calculating way. It was then I realized I had no idea what her name was.

“May I ask your name?” I asked carefully. “You know mine but I feel a bit odd I don’t know yours. I know you’re Chang’s mother but…”

“Li Ming,” She replied in a calm and almost quiet voice.

“Thank you,” I told her. She gave a nod and then turning around she walked away. ‘So much for a conversation,’ I thought to myself. ‘Oh, well, at least I have a name.’

I walked over to a large window and peered outside. Snow was still falling and from the amount of white clouds in the sky it didn’t appear it would end any time soon. I’d hoped to look out and see something that would give me a hint as to where I was. “He could’ve at least told me where I was.” With a sigh I turned around and looked the room over. I hadn’t been paying much attention as to what kind of room I had entered. I’d been too focused on getting answers from Chang.

Casually I scanned the room. The room had a few small sofas and a few tables. There were bookcases with knickknacks as well as books on them. One of the small tables held a chess board. From where I stood I was guessing it was marble. I was about to give up finding a clue of where I was when my eyes fell on a small table. Sitting on top of the reddish-brown table, like beacon of hope, was a phone.

I quickly made a B-line for the phone. I picked it up and dialing Jarrod’s phone I was disappointed to hear a recording. I knew from the tone it was a recording. My eyes widened, however, when the recording began to play in a foreign language. “Where am I?” I said still holding the phone to my ear. It was not a language I recognized. I felt the phone pulled away from my ear and turned to see Zakhar.

“It is rather rude to use a phone in someone else’s place of residence without their permission,” Chang’s father said as he gently took the phone out of my hand and hung it up.

“Where am I?” I asked looking into his unusual eyes. “You could at least have the decency to tell me where I am.”

**