New Places, New Beginnings

Chapter 18

(New Places, New Beginnings) 

Chang’s point of view

Thunder rolled through the air as I stood looking out the window down at the lake that surrounded the island the fortress stood on. I was concerned about how Star might react when she finally awakened, but being on the island gave me a sense of peace. Even if Star tried to run, she couldn’t get far since water surrounded us on all sides. The beauty of an island; it’s difficult to escape. No matter how mad she got or how fast she ran I could easily catch her.

I knew it was only a matter of time before my lady would open her eyes. Preston had stopped sedating her the moment we were on the ground. Now it was a waiting game.

I almost jumped as I suddenly felt my father’s presence. I mentally scolded myself for not paying more attention. I wasn’t entirely certain how long he’d been there. “Father,” I said calmly.

“Have you decided what you’re going to tell young Star?” He asked from where he stood. I turned to face him and watched as an amused smile crossed his face. “You haven’t given a single thought to it, have you?”

“I…no.”

__________________________________________________________________

Zakhar’s point of view

I couldn’t stop an amused laugh from passing my lips. Chang looked down and for the first time in years he looked like a young child. The sight before me made me even more curious about the woman asleep in one of the guest rooms. Chang was strong and certainly no pushover. He didn’t bow to the demands of a woman; they bowed to him. Yet this American girl had my son at a loss.

“You will have to tell her something,” I told him. “What are you going to say when she asks where she is or why she’s here?” Chang actually shrugged. I had to fight the sudden urge to reach over and smack him. “Are you going to tell her your intentions?”

“I don’t know,” He said finally.

“Chang you…”

Chang’s point of view

“I don’t know!” I yelled frustrated. It was true I didn’t know what I would say.

“What do you know?” My father inquired.

“I know Jarrod sure as hell didn’t protect her from his enemies!” I shouted. “She could’ve been killed because of his carelessness! How could he put her in such danger out in the open like that?”

“Chang…”

“No, he says he loves her but I love her more! I’d never have allowed that to happen to her. I’ll protect her from our enemies!”

“Chang…”

“I should’ve told her the night before she found Jarrod. I should’ve approached her within a week of seeing her at…”

“What?” I heard a voice ask.

“I told….” My eyes widened and my words died as I realized it wasn’t my father’s voice I heard. I looked at my father and knew I’d done what I hadn’t meant to. I swallowed hard before slowly turning to face the blonde woman that had caught my attention long before Jarrod’s.

________________________________________________________________________

Star’s point of view

“We didn’t meet before…” I started to say.

“I saw you long before you ever met Jarrod,” Chang informed me.