Foiled

Chapter 24

(Foiled)

Jarrod’s point of view

The sky was velvet black. Higher clouds prevented the sight of stars. Stars. How ironic that I could not see the stars above just as I could not see my Star. Chang had my girlfriend and I was now in a position I had never wanted to be in. I still couldn’t believe after all this time my father had found me. It made me wonder how he had found me. I hadn’t spoken or seen him in three years.

A sigh escaped me as I leaned against the pack house. My life had been looking up since Star had saved me. Now everything seemed to be going to hell. Chang had Star of course but my pack was now mad at me, my father had shown up and I had a feeling he might petition to get me back in his Pard and I had gained more enemies in the form of Titan and whatever other wolves he had rounded up against us at the bonding ceremony. A frown crossed my face as I thought about how I should’ve already been bonded to my human girlfriend. I had never felt so disappointed. Things had made me very angry but not disappointed; not like this.

Bobby’s words that it would be beneficial to Star if Chang had a thing for her came back to me. I hated the idea but the fact was he was right. Worse yet I had no doubt in my mind my enemy liked my girl and he was in a perfect position to take advantage of my absence from her. Add the information Chang had probably given her about me and…yeah I was in trouble. Even if we got Star back I might lose her. I needed her. I couldn’t stand the idea of a life without her. She made me feel alive again. Made me want to be a nice guy. Without her….I just wasn’t sure what life would be.

“Why did you leave your father’s pack?” I looked over to see Tye walking back around from the front of the pack house.

“Does it matter?” I asked him.

“Yeah, it does,” Grant’s enforcer said.

“Your father is petitioning to get you back,” Grant informed me from where he stood on the back porch. I didn’t respond or move. “Before I make a decision I want to know why you left,” he told me. “Don’t withhold anything; just tell me.”

“It might take a while,” I warned.

“We can sleep on the plane,” Bobby told me. Tye nodded in agreement with him.

“You might as well get Kyle,” I said less than thrilled. Bobby nodded and walked back into the back of the house. Less than excited I headed up the stairs and onto the back porch. I walked over to the table and sat down. This was going to take a while.

A few minutes passed and Bobby walked back out with Kyle; they were both holding beers. “I have a feeling we’ll need this,” Kyle told him. I nodded; he wasn’t wrong. Everyone sat down and I began to talk.

                                                            ******

Star’s point of view

I stood at the railing and watched as Chang and Zakhar both paced back and forth. It was somewhat amusing to watch as they seemed to walk in the same manner and move their hands the same. “I didn’t know vampires and dhampiers paced,” I commented. Both men immediately stopped and looked up at me. The look on their faces revealed neither one of them had sensed my presence. I couldn’t stop a smile from forming on my face.

“You’re up rather early,” Zakhar commented.

“I’d say you’re up late but I’m honestly not sure when you sleep,” I replied. I wasn’t sure either. In fact I was beginning to wonder if Chang’s father ever slept. I knew of at least one occasion Chang had slept. I’d gotten up one morning and found Chang sound asleep in a chair in the library.