Chang's Story

Chapter 20

(Chang’s story )

Star’s point of view

My heels echoed through the hallways as I was led through the halls of Zakhar’s residence. Finally the dark haired woman leading me slowed down as we approached a set of large ornate dark wood doors where two men stood as if they were guarding the doors. Instantly the two men opened the large doors.

I followed the woman as she walked through the two now open doors. “Your lady,” The woman said as I entered.

I entered the room to find myself in a private dining room. A large cherry wood table decorated with candles and flowers with place settings for eight people was in the center of the room. The chairs were outlined in matching wood but the center was white leather upholstery. A large elegant crystal chandelier hung over the center of the table. Burgundy linens dressed the table in a way that reminded me of a Christmas dinner.The flowers were a mixture of Orchids, Lilies, and Snap Dragons.

“Thank you, Virginia, you may go,” Zakhar told the dark haired woman. The woman curtsied to him and then left the room. A split second later I hear the two doors close.

“You look beautiful,” Chang said admiring the long strapless silver satin gown that had been provided for me. I don’t know where he came from but he was just suddenly there.

“Thank you,” I replied. He slipped my hand through his arm and guided me to my seat on the right hand side of the chair at the end of the table. He helped me to be seated and then took his place at the end of the table facing his father at the head of the table. Glancing the table over I noticed Chang’s mother, Li Ming, was on Zakhar’s right side.

“Our apologies,” A woman with long brown hair said as she and three other people approached the table. It wasn’t until the long haired woman sat down that I saw a sight I was not prepared for; Ling and Fredero. Both vampires barely spared me a glance before going to their seats on the other side of the table.

“So you’re the American girl that has caught my brother’s eye,” The brunette woman said.

I looked at her surprised. “You’re his…” I stopped as realization dawned on me. “Half sister.”

“Yes, but if he didn’t look oriental no one would be the wiser,” another woman with long blonde hair drawled.

I looked from one woman to the next. Except for their hair color they looked the same. “Are you twins?” I asked unable to stop my curiosity.

“Yes, Anya and Karina are fraternal twins,” Zakhar confirmed. I gave a simple nod.

**

Chang’s point of view

I wasn’t sure how Star would handle dinner with my family but was pleased she hadn’t started lashing out right away. It didn’t mean it wouldn’t happen but the fact she was asking questions and allowing her curiosity to show gave me a sense of hope.

“What did you two do to get in trouble anyway?”Karina inquired looking at Ling and Fredero. Looking at me she said, “I haven’t seen you that angry in quite some time.” The room fell very silent. I watched as she looked toward my father and back to me. I glanced at Star and then back to her. My sister’s eyes went wide before she looked at the blonde human woman. “What did they do to you?” She finally asked when no one offered any information.

“Are you talking about putting me in cages or telling me Chang planned to rape me?” Star asked simply.

“You what?!” Anya said practically glaring at Ling and the other vampire.