Break for It Part 24

Star's point of view

There was little I could do as I stood at the penthouse window looking down at the people far below. As I watched them walking in the sunlight I longed to do the same. Zakhar wouldn't allow me out of the penthouse at all. I was not much better off than a caged animal. I might have a bigger cage then most animals but it was a cage none the less.

A frown crossed my face as my thoughts went to Kyle, Jarrod, and my new friends. I knew they had to have been disappointed to not find me at the fortress. I somewhat wondered if they'd be able to find me again. Unfortunately, I also knew if they did find my whereabouts that Zakhar would probably find out about it and simply move me again. I sighed feeling both frustrated and annoyed. I wanted so much to go home.

"You didn't eat much of your breakfast," I heard Chang say from behind.

I gave a mild shrug before saying, "Not really hungry." It wasn't a lie. I hadn't been very hungry for the last couple of days. I just felt restless and...sad.

"You barely ate any lunch," Chang added knowingly. This time I only gave an unconcerned shrug without any words. Gently he turned me to face him. "You need to eat."

"I'm not hungry Chang," I replied. I went to step away but he held me where I was.

"This isn't good for you," he said with open concern. His eyes held more concern than his voice. It was still strange to think and know that Chang had no intention of hurting me. I knew he wouldn't physically harm me. Unfortunately he didn't seem to understand he could hurt me without being violent towards me.

"I'm not hungry," I replied and turned back toward the window.

"This isn't healthy Star," Chang said sounding frustrated. I didn't respond. "I know you are disappointed that you weren't able to see Kyle but right now is not the time."

"When is the time?" I asked suddenly turning to face him. "Why am I here?" I demanded showing a hint of my anger. Chang released me then and with a look of disappointment on his face he began to walk away. "Chang," I called.

He stopped just before he reached the main door to the penthouse. "I have meetings and will be back late. Eat your dinner tonight or I will force you to eat breakfast." He glanced back at me with a look of warning and then left with two vampires following behind.

A sigh escaped me as I turned my attention back towards the window. "How do I get out?" I whispered. Disappointed I walked out of the main room and walking down the hallway to the right I went to my room. I entered the room and closed the door behind me.

As I started to walk away from the door I heard a harp sound not far away. It took me a minute to realize the sound was my text alert message. Someone had sent me a message. I suddenly realized my phone was in Chang's room. He or Zakhar always had my phone but neither of them had it now. It was then I realized all the vampires were currently gone. The last two had left with Chang. Preston was there and so were a couple of other human servants but the vampires were all gone. Suddenly I had hope.

Quietly I opened my door and seeing no one in the hall I crept across and entered Chang's room. Hearing the sound again I followed it until I came to Chang's bathroom. Sitting on the side of the sink was my phone. I picked it up and quickly sent a message to Kyle as to my whereabouts. I turned the sound completely off and quickly went to Chang's window.

A smile crossed my face as I looked at the trees below. Freedom wasn't that far away. I opened the window and carefully slid out onto the ledge. Slowly I closed the window and turned around. I looked straight down. It was a mistake. I suddenly felt my heart rate increase as I began to realize just how high up I was. I was also very thankful the hotel was not a high riser. Unlike most of the hotels this one was only 5 Stories high.