The Banquet

Chapter 14

(The Banquet)

Jarrod’s point of view

Star was still getting ready when I walked down the stairs to wait for her. I didn’t want to go to the banquet but I sure as hell wasn’t going to let her go without me.

“Wow you clean up good,” Lydia commented seeing me in my tux.

“Thanks,” I replied. “Never actually thought I’d ever be in a tux again after getting thrown out of the homecoming dance in high school.”

“Why did…” Lydia stopped when I looked at her. “You got in a fight at homecoming?”

I shrugged not really concerned. Glancing toward the back door I saw Kyle standing on the back deck. “Excuse me,” I said and walking past her and everyone else I walked out back to speak to my girl’s brother.

“Star still getting ready?” Kyle asked sensing my presence.

“Yeah,” I replied and walked up next to him.

The blonde wolf looked over and looking my tux over said, “You’ll pass for a night.”

“I’d do anything for your sister,” I told him. “Even wear this get up.” Kyle smiled and nodded. I wanted to talk to Kyle but wasn’t sure exactly how to say what I wanted to. “I know all this has to be…I wanted to say thank you for helping me out the other night; especially since she’s your sister.”

Kyle shrugged. “I was impressed you fought your instinct as long as you did,” He replied. “My sister, but she’s clearly your mate. I’m just glad you didn’t hurt her.”

“Star might still be learning but trust me she’s learning quickly and not afraid to ask questions. I think all the pack females are telling her, what to and not to do,” Jarrod admitted. “But then even when I couldn’t talk during my recovery at her house she seemed to understand me.”

“What did you do when you realized you’d fallen for a human?” He asked me.

“I wanted to hit my head against the wall,” I admitted. Kyle instantly smirked completely understanding. “Until Star I had only known anger for a long time. I know you’re worried about her and so am I but I think me standing here like this is proof enough your sister isn’t going to roll over for Titan, Patricia, or anyone else.”

“Patricia is a bitch,” Kyle suddenly sounding upset. “Of everyone she’s the one I’m most concerned about hurting Star.”

“Titan.”

“Don’t misunderstand I’m concerned about him to but Patricia enjoys being a bitch. She’d torture Star,” He said clearly concerned. “She shows up don’t give her a warning Jarrod; take her out.” I nodded I understood. I went to speak but stopped hearing the back door open.

“Ready?”

I turned and I think my mouth hit the ground. Star was wearing a floor length form fitting royal blue dress with one strap over her left shoulder. ‘Damn!’ I thought looking at her. My next thought was, ‘How fast can I get that dress off?’

“Enjoy your banquet.”

I had to mentally shake myself before looking at Kyle who looked a little too amused at my reaction. The thought, ‘It’s going to be a long night,’ went quickly through my head. We weren’t even out of the house and I was already turned on.

“Good luck,” Kyle said.

“Oh Kyle,” She said and swatted him with her matching beaded purse. “I can handle it.” She hugged him and Kyle smiled at me. We both knew it wasn’t the actual banquet he was wishing us luck on.