Chapter Forty-Eight

This is unedited, I'll probably fun back through the chapter fix up the medical stuff soon, I wrote this while I had no wifi, so I didn't get to research anything. 

______________________________________________________________

I sat in a cold, uncomfortable hospital chair, my legs crossed and my back aching. I could see Lisa hunched in another chair, across the room, her oversized sweater seemingly consuming her skinny frame. Harry had left a few minutes ago to grab some coffee for the cafeteria.

Drew had been with doctors for the past hour and a half. They were doing tests on him, from what nurses had told us, but we’d yet to see him since they wheeled him off.

I was scared. All I could do was run through the events of the day in my head. I had been with my brother and sister for most of the day, and all we had done was go shopping, eat and visit some tourist attractions.

“Here you go, babe.” I heard Harry say.

I looked up and saw him holding out a cup of coffee, and I hastily grabbed it, savoring the feeling of the warmth the cup offered to my cold and clammy hands.

“Thank you.” I murmured, sipping the burning hot coffee.

“No problem,” Harry said, sitting down next to me, “you need it.”

“I literally don’t know what the hell is going on,” I said softly, my voice breaking.

“Try to think positive, the doctors are working to figure what’s wrong. We’ll know soon.” Harry replied, his hand encasing mine.

“I’m trying to, it’s just…” I trailed off.

“It’s just what?”

“It’s just that I was with Drew all freaking day, whatever happened that causes this happened on my watch.” I finally exclaimed, waves of guilt washing over me.

“Babe—” Harry started to respond, but was promptly cut off.

“Family of Drew Matthews?” a doctors voice called, and my neck snapped towards her.

“That’s us,” I said, standing up quickly.

A wave of dizziness passed over me, thankfully Harry was there with his arm on my back, or else I probably would’ve fell back. I steadied myself, taking a deep breath before turning to my grab my sisters hand as she made her way over to where we were standing. 

“Good news, it’s nothing long term. It just looks like an allergic reaction mixed in with a bit of heat exhaustion.” The doctor said, smiling at us.

A collective sigh was heard as the three of us let out the sighs we had been holding in. But then, the words completely registered in my brain, and I started talking before my thoughts could completely process.