Chapter 5: Heated

I spray my perfume on and I am finally ready. The guys and I were going to go out to the local bar tonight. It was Friday night. I asked to see if Sarah and her band mates from Steel Winter could come join us but they had to perform tonight. I had invited Cole as well. We were working through our shit but it was still a slow process on my part. I still couldn't quite trust him the way I did before.

I looked at myself in the mirror, satisfied with my outfit. I wore a tight black dress that had strings criss crossing at my chest. I wore a leather jacket over it and some gold heels on my feet, making an already tall girl, even taller. My makeup perfectly contoured and highlighted my face, making it look like I had higher cheekbones than I actually have. My lashes were long and I wore crimson red lipstick. I was ready to party.

Walking down to the car park, I already saw Cole there waiting for me in front of his car.

"Thanks for taking me. Alex had to pick up Mary from the airport so he's not coming." Mary was Alex's girlfriend with whom I never really got along with well. It all started in high school. Yes. We have known each other that long. But not because we were friends but quite the opposite. She used to be the one who picked on me and every little things. But Alex doesn't know that. I didn't want to tell him partly because I didn't want to ruin his relationship with Mary but also because I'm pretty sure he won't believe me. Mary has him wrapped around her little finger. I wouldn't have minded so much if Mary still weren't such a bitch. She has a way of always getting in between Alex and my friendship so I was not excited for her arrival.

"That's alright. I'm glad you called me." He said as he opened the door for me to get in. I got into the car and Cole got into the driver seat. Oddly I saw the pressure on his jaw for a minute but it was almost gone as quick as it came that I thought I had imagined it. "So your rival is back?"

I chuckled. "Yeah she's coming back from France."

"What was she doing there?"

"Who the hell fucking knows. All I know is that she took Alex's money to get there." I said as I rolled my eyes. "Why he puts up with her, I have no idea."

"Yeah I'm lucky I have a girlfriend as easygoing as you because–" he cut himself off as I raised an eyebrow at him.

"We're not together, Cole. We're friends."

"Sorry it just slipped out."

I sighed. "That's fine. Just as long as you know the difference."

"I do."

"Good. So can we pick up Zack, Peter and Peter's girlfriend Zoe? They need a ride."

"Sure. Do you know what day today it is?"

"Friday?"

"It would have been our three year anniversary."

"Oh."

"You know, I had planned the day for us to spend together before when we were in a relationship. It would have been perfect."

"Cole. I'm warning you. If you keep talking like this, I'll leave."

"But Emma—"

"I mean it."

Cole wore a frown on his face as he drove into Zack's place. Zack got in the car. "Hey guys."

"Hey Zack." I said. "So how are things going with Kylie. Are you guys together yet?"

"Not quite."

I rolled my eyes. "Come on. You both like each other so make it official."

"I could say the same thing about you two." Zack smirked.

My face dropped. And I turned back around facing the front as Cole frowned again. "It's not me who has a hard time seeing it."

"Excuse me?!" I snapped. "We already decided that we're going to be friends."

"No, you decided."

"You agreed."

"Only because if I didn't then you would have shut me out of your life."

I was boiling with anger. "Stop the car."

Cole's face quickly wiped from anger to worry. "Why?"

"I want to get out."

"No."

"Let me out, Cole!"

"NO!"

"LET ME OUT!"

"NO! I AM NOT STOPPING THIS CAR UNTIL WE GET TO THE VENUE!"

"BUT WE NEED TO PICK UP PETER AND ZOE!"

"WELL, IM STOPPING BUT YOURE NOT GETTING OUT OF THE DAMN CAR! YOU GOT IT?!"

"WELL IF YOU DONT LET ME OUT OF THIS CAR THEN I WILL THROW MYSELF OUT OF THE DAMN WINDOW! YOU GOT IT?!"

"WHOA GUYS STOP! YOURE GOING TO GET US INTO A CAR CRASH! STOP FIGHTING!" Zack yelled over our heated argument.

Cole and I went silent. I had forgotten that Zack was there.

"For fuck's sake."  Zack sighed. "I should have just kept my mouth shut."

"No it wasn't your fault. It was Cole's he shouldn't have said one thing and meant another."

"Are you fucking kidding me?! I have been nothing but good to you!" Cole argued.

"Are you fucking kidding me, Cole?! Is that what you thought when you were fucking a fan behind my back!" I yelled.

Both Zack and Cole looked at me horrified. Zack was horrified because this was the first he'd heard of it and Cole because I had actually told Zack about it now.  It why shouldn't I? He was my friend after all.

Cole stopped the car in front of Peter's place and remained silent as Zack gave him daggers with his eyes. I was almost sure he was going to kill him. But he wasn't moving so I could be wrong.

"Why did you have to tell him?"

I looked at him incredulously. "This is not my fault. You should have thought about that before you decided to be a man-whore behind my back."

Suddenly a car door opened. "Hi guys." Peter said. "Thanks for picking us up."

"Yeah no problem man." Cole said.

Peter and Zoe got in the car and closed the door behind them as Cole pulled out of the car park.

"So what did we miss?" Peter asked. "Why is everyone so quiet?"

Zack looked at Peter. "Believe me, you don't want to know, man."

*  *  *  *