Chapter 14: Hungover

I woke to a throbbing head and a churning stomach. And I knew instantly that I'm hungover from the partying the night before. I looked around and was thankful that I was in my own apartment. Whenever I'm hungover I always prefer to be in my own place—

Oh shit! I ran to the closest bathroom and to the toilet. There goes all of my dinner. I closed the lid and flushed the toilet wiping my mouth with the tissues I kept on the vanity. I then sat on the toilet lid and rested my throbbing head on the palms of my hands. This wasn't just a small innocent hangover that I could get over in the early morning. No this was going to be one of those hangovers that would make me feel like shit for the whole day. I went into my kitchen and took aspirin. I looked around the kitchen at what food I had, only to be sickened by it all. Ok so it looks like I'm not going to eat for a while. I sighed.

I went back into my bathroom and had a shower, trying to make myself feel a little less like shit.

And so the sky becomes a dream

I never dreamt because I'm just too busy

Waiting for nothing

And wasting away

Don't tell me it's too hard

You were never there from the start

I'm not about to give this up

Giving up was never enough no

And so the sky becomes my dream

I never dreamt because I'm just to busy

Waiting for nothing

And wasting away

And so the sky it watched my dreams

Fall to pieces right in front of me

Cause I'm just too busy

Waiting for nothing

And wasting away

I stepped out of the shower and dried off. Normally I'd blow dry my hair but I couldn't be fucked at the moment. I got changed into some sweats and dropped myself on the lounge, turning on the TV.

It was too loud so I turned the volume down. I flicked through Netflix. I finally just decided to watch 'That 70's Show'. I was up to the part of the show where they all sit in a circle and talk about stuff while they're high. It happened practically every episode and it's usually the part of the show that I look forward to the most. And right in the middle of it, someone knocks on my front door. I groan in annoyance and slowly walk to the door. I'm not in the mood for people this morning. Wow that sounded way worse than I thought it would. I shrugged to myself before I opened the door. Right in front of me I saw Cole. "Hey babe." he gave me a peck and then stepped inside, walking right past me. I just stood there frozen by the door staring at him as he sat down on the couch. "What are you watching?" He pressed play then said. "I love this show!"

Ok now I began getting angry. "Get out Cole. I don't want you here."

He paused the show then looked at me. "But I don't understand."

"Do I really need to spell it out for you? Get out. We're over. I don't want to see you ever again."

He suddenly stood up alarmed. "What happened?"

"You!" I yelled. I then held my forehead as it was throbbing. "You cheated on me and lied."

"But you already forgave me for that."

"That was before I found out that you lied about who you slept with. Fucking hell, Cole wasn't it bad enough that you fucked up this relationship? Why did you have to ruin things for Alex too?!"

"W-what?"

"You slept with Mary, Cole! And you fucking lied about it! Now get out and don't ever come back! I mean it! I don't care if I look like the bad person anymore. You're out of my life now and I never want to see you ever again! Get out!" My head was hurting so bad but there was no way I could say the words I said without yelling.

"But Emma, I love you."

I scoffed. "No you don't. Now leave before I call Alex from across the hall and let him beat you up to a pulp."

With his head down, he thankfully left, closing the door behind him. I was thankful that he didn't try to change my mind like he usually did. He actually left me alone and I was glad of it. 

*  *  *  *

In the late afternoon, there was another knock at my door. I stood up from the couch and paused the TV. I was now watching Legend starring Tom Hardy – it was one of my all-time favourites. I then walked to the door and opened it. There stood River. How is it that he looks so good and normal the night after drinking so much. Life is far more cruel to me than him. I quickly close the door before he could see too much of my hideous hungover self. I mean I've mainly gotten over my hangover but I still feel that gross feeling you get. "I'm sorry," I said through the door to him. "But I can't let you see me like this."

"Why? What are you talking about?"

"Im trying to get fully over a hideous hangover and I feel so gross."

"Emma. Let me in. I came to help you through your hangover."

I smiled as my eyes began to water. That is one of the sweetest things someone has done for me. I sniffled. And to think that all these years that I had been with Cole, he had treated me terribly. Well not in the beginning. Cole was good in the beginning but as the days go by and as he continues to pull stupid shit, the more I forget all the good things about him. For almost three years on and off I had been with Cole and now it was finally over. I am free.

"Emma? Are you alright?"

Despite the fact that I looked terrible, I had tears trickling down my face and I had no makeup on, I slowly opened the door. And River did something he had never initiated with me before – he hugged me. "You don't need to be sad."

"I'm not. I'm finally happy."

*  *  *  *