Chapter 7: Brothers

I woke up in my own bedroom on my bed comfortably tucked in. How did I get there? Who got me here? The last thing I remember was telling River to get security— shit. Now I remembered it all. Just the thought of it made my stomach churn.

"Oh good. You're awake."

I looked at my bedroom door and saw Zoe – Peter's girlfriend. She began walking towards me with a bottle in her hands. "Here, I thought you might like some water." I always liked Zoe. Before she was with Peter, she was my friend. She still is. We grew up together and managed to stay best friends through everything. Then I introduced her to Peter and they are now the cutest couple.

I gladly took the water and drank.

"How are you feeling?"

"Pretty embarrassed."

"Why?" She looked very surprised by my response.

"Cole was high and I couldn't control him. I couldn't stop him from going to that extent to take drugs. He's unhappy with his life and it's because of me. I don't care enough. And now everyone at that club saw it."

"Honey, this is not your fault. Whatever Cole decides to do is not your fault."

"But—"

"No. None of what just happened was your fault."

"I'd still feel embarrassed even if it wasn't my fault because like the weak person I am, I fainted. Who the fuck faints over tiny things."

"It wasn't tiny." Zoe explained, "River said that when he got there, Cole was crushing you and that it looked like you were struggling to breathe."

"River came?" I couldn't help my eyes from becoming watery. So he had come through.

"Yeah he brought the security guards to take Cole out."

"Cole's out on the streets?" I asked beginning to worry. What was wrong with me? After what Cole continues to do, Im still worried about him. There must be something wrong with me.

"No Zack agreed to drop Cole off at his house."

"Good."

"I don't understand why you care about him so much. He treats you like shit."

I shrugged. "Maybe I'm just holding onto the guy he once was. He used to be so good to me and he used to always fill me up with so much happiness that it was almost disgusting."

"But he's not that person anymore. And all you feel is miserable around him."

I sighed. "I know."

* * * *

I woke up the next morning to my phone ringing.

We're back again!

You know we're not fucking around.

Got a bottle of Jack in our hands

Try and keep up kid

I see your miles away!

We did the drugs,

We've done it all

Sometimes we don't remember—

"Hello?" I grumbled.

"Emma. It's River. How are you feeling?"

"Good. I have a little hangover but that's it."

"That's good. I was worried that you'd be hurt from last night."

"Have you got anything planned today?"