Chapter 16: Seven Minutes

I close the door behind us and let go of River's hand. I then sit on my bed awkwardly. Am I ready for this? I just broke up with Cole earlier today. And do I really want to? I'm fond of River but I've always seen him as a friend - a disturbingly hot friend. But I've never really considered the idea that we would explore something more than a typical friendship.

"We don't have to do anything, you know." River suddenly said through the eery silence. "We can just say we did stuff."

I looked at the door and specifically the key hole. I remember in high school that whenever we played this game, we would always watch what as happening through the key hole. I stood up and stepped close to River. We were face to face with his back facing the door. River is taller than me so thankfully they wouldn't be able to see me through the key-hole in the door. "They can see us through the key-hole on the door." I whispered.

River moved his head, about to look behind him at the door but I quickly wrapped my arms around him to stop him. "Don't look."

"What do we do?" He whispered.

"Follow my lead."

He gave a slight nod.

I then pushed my body against his all the way until his back was touching the door, covering the key-hole. I then began making kissing noises. Then I took off my jacket and moved River slightly to the side and quickly hung my jacket over the key-hole so they can't see through I then stepped back and walked back to my bed, sitting on it again. River then sat beside me. I gave quick glances his way, awkwardly.

"We still don't have to do anything. I'm not going to pressure you."

I shook my head. "That's not what I'm worried about. I completely trust you."

"What are you worried about then?"

What wasn't I worried about seemed to be an easier question to answer. I was worried about what would happen to our precious friendship if we went too far. Even though Cole has been a complete asshole, I was even worried about hurting him. I was worried I would like it. I was worried I wouldn't like it. I simply shrugged in response. "Can we just talk?"

"Sure." He smiled warmly. "What do you want to talk about?"

And it all started flowing out of me like fast endless stream. I needed to talk about Cole to someone. After I finished talking about Cole, I asked. "Can I ask you something?"

He nodded. "What do you want to ask me?"

"What's your honest opinion of Cole? I need a perspective outside the situation."

"I don't know if I'm the right person to ask."

"Please I want to know. You're level headed. You'll give me the right advice. I know you will."

"Well, I think he's an absolute douche. He doesn't deserve you or your kindness. He treated you like shit and you deserve so much better. And I know you don't want to hear this but I can't just pretend anymore. I care about you, Emma and every time I see you with Cole, it makes me sick to my stomach because I know how much he hurts you and I can't help feeling that if I were in his position, if I were your boyfriend, then I would do everything differently. You've been through enough shit in your life and to see Cole take advantage of your innate kindness is absolutely disgusting."

My breath hitched. "I thought your feelings for me would go away."

"I thought so too. But my feelings aren't going anywhere. I'm yours... even though you will probably never be mine." His cheeks were slowly becoming red. He normally has a tan but it's winter and there hasn't been much sun lately so his blush became more transparent than it usually would.

"I wouldn't say never." And before he could react I kissed him. He was surprised and tense at first but then he loosened up a bit and reciprocated it. He deepened the kiss and the that's when someone walked in and said; "okay it's been seven minutes." It sounded like Zoe.

But neither River nor I pulled away from each other. I didn't want to be the one to break it, so I put the responsibility on him (even though he probably didn't know it). Was it all just the alcohol making me like this? I probably wouldn't have taken action. But maybe there was deeper feelings within me for him that I might have oppressed in fear that things could go terribly wrong if I admitted and accepted it.

"Uh... Helloooo! Guys? Your seven minutes are up now."

Okay so it didn't seem like River was going to stop any time soon and I was running out of breath so I pulled away, looking at River. He was emotionless. I couldn't tell what he was thinking. I then looked at Zoe standing forward from the others who were peeping around the corner, acting nonchalant. "Can you just give us five minutes? I need to talk to River alone."

Zoe gave me a smug look, probably pleased with her handy work. "Sure. And you're welcome by the way."

I smiled and shook my head.

She closed the door behind her, leaving us alone again. I slowly turned my head to look at River again. What was he thinking? He had been so open before we made out and he seemed to have enjoyed it but now I wasn't so sure. Was he reconsidering? He was quiet and looked deep in thought.

"A penny for your thoughts?" I asked.

He finally looked at me. He had his mouth open to speak but words didn't follow. It was like he couldn't form the words.

I looked away. That could either be a really good thing or a really bad thing. "Well, I don't exactly know why but I thought..." I began. "I mean I was... We would... You're good to me... I don't exactly know what this is, I don't even know if it was the right thing to do, but somehow I feel exulted, something that I've almost forgotten the feeling of in quite a while. So... Thank you." I showed my gratitude rather awkwardly and I winced at the thought of it. He still hasn't talked to me yet and it was getting beyond embarrassing to tell him how I feel, leaving me feeling as if I were naked. "That's all I wanted to say." I stood up to leave but he grasped my hand and pulled me back. I fell onto his lap and was about to apologise when he kissed me with his hands on either side of my cheeks. I knotted my hand in his long brown hair. He then pulled away and rested his forehead against mine. His right hand was placed along my jawline as he looked right at me.

"Whoa." I said rather surprised by the affect his persistence had on me. I then pulled my head away from his and began getting up. "We better go. The others are waiting for us."

He pulled me back down and smirked. "Do we have to?"

I smiled, biting my bottom lip, like a giddy school girl... I probably looked like an idiot.

He leaned forward and reached my lips. I continued smiling against his lips and that's when we heard a knock on the door. "I've given you guys five minutes." It was Zoe once again.

I pulled away from River and pulled him up with my hand in his. Just before I opened the door I let go of River and walked into the main room. "Where's Sarah, and Tom?"

"They had to go." Zack said with a smirk as he looked between River and I.

I pretended not to notice it.

"Actually," Zack began. "Kylie and I have to go too." He looked at Kylie with predator eyes and I knew exactly what he meant.

"Okay." I said. "See you tomorrow then?"

"Yeah sure. Bye." Then the two went out the door just as Alex came back in.

"Wait where are you two going?" Alex asked as he smirked, very well knowing where they were going and what they were going to do.

Zack gave him the 'shut up' look before he slapped the back of Alex's head when Kylie wasn't looking.

I tried my best to hold in my laughter. In the corner of my eye I could see River looking at me with a smirk. I knew my cheeks then turned red. I could feel it.

Alex rubbed the back of his head and closed the door behind him.

"Where's Tyler?" River asked. "I thought he was with you."

"Nah, he had to go. Some kind of band emergency." He dropped himself on the couch. "So, what did I miss?"