Chapter 9: Whiskey

I felt numb, empty. I seemed to only be here, ensnared under Cole's arm, for show. I was here simply for appearance and I began feeling like a doll. And not even those dolls where you pull string and hear them speak but instead, one without its own voice. Suddenly Cole smashed his lips on mine and I pulled away quickly. I felt dirty and in desperate need to scrub this whole night out from my memory. Cole looked hurt and people looked at me oddly. "We don't want to gross our guests out with PDA. We don't want to scare them off." I said lightly.

Cole smiled again, seeming to believe my reasoning and pecked my lips. Swallowing all my pride down my throat, I smiled at him like I used to, once before when we were really in love. But now all I felt was longing for that guy to come back and for this new Cole to leave. Maybe if I tried hard enough I can bring the old him back to me.

I suddenly felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around and there stood River. He handed me a bottle of Jack Daniels whiskey with a bow wrapped around it. "I thought you might need this for tonight."

I laughed. "I'm glad you came to be here for me, River. It means a lot."

He smiled. "I'll always be there for you."

I awkwardly smiled then silence took over us. "I'll go mix us a drink. I've got coke, ginger ale, tonic water, soda water and lemon squash to mix with bourbon, vodka and now whiskey. What drink do you want?" I asked him, walking to the kitchen and motioning for him to follow.

"I'll just have whatever you're having."

"Straight whiskey it is."

He chuckled.

"You want ice?" I asked as I pulled out some red cups.

He nodded.

I poured our drinks and handed him one of them.

"Cheers."

"Emma baby. There you are!" Cole said as he walked over. "I've been looking all over for you." He then locked his lips onto mine.

I quickly pulled away. Why does he always insist on kissing me so much? "Cole, I was with you just ten minutes ago."

"Yeah but-" he cut himself off when he saw River. "What the fuck is he doing here?"

"I invited him."

"Yeah well un-invite him. I don't want him here."

"Cole!" I said disapprovingly. "River is standing right beside you. You don't need to be rude."

"I can be rude to whoever I want. This is my party."

"No this is supposed to be our party. And River is my friend and I want him here."

"Maybe I should go." River said, putting his drink down on the table.

"No. I want you here. Please stay."

"No, he's right. He should leave." Cole said taking another drink.

"No if you kick River out, then I'm leaving too."

"Fine! He's staying!" Cole snapped then he looked at River. "And you, stay out of my way." He then walked away to some of his friends.

"A real charmer, you've got there." River said.

"Yeah it's hard to explain. Sometimes he just gets a little..."

"Dickheadish, arrogant?"

"I was going to say hot-headed."

"He was more than just hot-headed."

"Yeah sorry about that. He can be very difficult when he wants to be."

"It's fine. I'm here for you anyway. I don't care about him."

"Thank you. So I was just about to order some pizza for everyone. Wanna help me choose?"

"Sure." He smiled as we walked to the study to grab the menu.

It was oddly quiet in here. We could barely hear the music. "So do you want any particular pizza?" I looked at River only to find that he was already looking back at me. I looked away quickly because I knew I could feel the heat on my cheeks. Why was I blushing? Was it because of the thing he told me last time we were together? I quickly downed the rest of my drink.

"I like pepperoni pizza."

"Ok, we'll get that then. Do you want another drink?"

"Uh, I'm still going with mine."

"I need another drink. I'll be back soon." I quickly grabbed the bottle of whiskey and brought it with me back to the study. I poured the drink and took a sip. I then ordered the pizzas over the phone and set out the money on the study desk. Nobody comes in here anyway so it won't get stolen. But just in case, I hid it under some books. "Okay it should be here in about an hour." I said as River filled his drink up again.

*  *  *  *

An hour had passed and I knew by my constant laughter and lack of balance,  that I was a bit tipsy. I handed the pizza guy the money and he handed me the pizzas. River took it off my hands and put it on the table for me. He seemed to be just as tipsy too. I pulled out the serviettes for everyone and opened all the pizza boxes. "Pizza's here everyone." I called. People started grabbing pieces and I grabbed one for myself.

River walked over to me with a slice in his hand too and stood next to me. I rested my heavy head on his shoulder and continued to eat my slice. River rested his head on top of mine, probably feeling heavy headed just as much as I. Suddenly, his phone rang and he lifted his head, answering it. "Helllooo?"

I watched him carefully trying to figure out who he was talking to.

He hung up then said to me; "I have to go. My sister just had a messy break up and she's over at mine waiting for me."

"But you can't drive now. You've drank too much."

"Don't worry. I'll catch a cab." He assured.

I wanted to say; 'don't leave me here. Stay.' But this was his sister and he needed to support her.

He called for a cab then hung up. "It should be here in five minutes."

"I'll walk you out." I grabbed my jacket and walked with him out the door. By the time we got downstairs, the cab was already waiting for him. "Thanks for coming River. It means a lot to me."

River hugged me and I hugged him back. He then got in the cab and I waved goodbye.