Chapter Eleven

Impossibilities of a lifetime:

Find a tall girl

Fall in love with girl

Girl love me back

Witness a miracle

Try not to run through the streets dancing and singing from overwhelming happiness

The first day of school came quickly. The summer dragged ass then suddenly it was gone. I didn't wish it back; I just wished the past two weeks could have gone on forever. It took nearly seventeen years to feel indescribably happy for the first time in my life. I wish Mom was there to experience it with me, and I would have loved to introduce her to Micha.

Unfortunately my usually unobservant father noticed the change in my attitude, and that apparently wasn't acceptable.

"Did you have sex?" he asked Monday morning as I ate my breakfast waiting for John to pick me up.

"Nope," I said, trying to ignore him. I didn't get laid, it would have been nice though, but I got something even better: a girlfriend. Dad didn't know that Micha stayed that night. He got in late and was gone a few hours later and was none the wiser.

"Did Dr. Joyce change your pills?" he pressed.

"Nope."

"Did you meet someone?" he asked.

I looked up at him; why was he grilling me? Couldn't he just be happy that I was?

No, of course not.

He was miserable so that meant I had to be as well.

"Yes I did," I said. "Their name is Micha, and they are an art student."

"So you are gay," Dad surmised.

It wasn't a question or a statement, but I would let him think what he will.

Thankfully John honked from the driveway.

"That's my ride. Will you be home tonight?" I asked.

"I will be late, order dinner."

"Of course," I said then hurried from the dining room.

What more is there to say than that? Dad hadn't said more than three words to me a day since Mom died, and yet he felt the need to ask too many damn questions. Was he trying to put me in a bad mood? Most likely since I had been buzzing around the house with a smile since the night Micha stayed over and told me she loved me.

I hadn't gotten to see her in a week. Jay and Professor Dixon put her on house arrest after Micha ripped some stitches out when she was screwing around with one of her projects. She only told me it was called the 'Gnome Liberation Project' and that she'd be requiring my help executing it later. I trusted her enough to know that she wasn't going to dress me up as a damn garden gnome, but I did question it a few times.