Chapter Thirty-One

A million miles away:

My mind

Spirits Soaring

Death

Mars...that one is 48,678,200 miles away

"Oh come on," Micha pleaded. "In another week I'll be too damn fat to fit behind the steering wheel. Please humor me?"

I knew she was sticking her belly out to make her point, but sadly it was true. In a couple of weeks, at her current rate of expansion, she wouldn't fit in the passenger seat either.

"You know I'm only humoring you because I love you, right?" I said.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, you have your moments." Micha rolled her eyes then took the car keys from me.

"Next week let's take a look at cars," I said as she drove home. "Something safer, larger maybe, a family car that you'll actually fit in."

Dramatically she sighed. "You're killing me here, Smalls. I'm not getting a minivan."

"God no, ew. Soccer mom you are not," I assured her, and she smiled. "We'll figure it out. I've been researching safety ratings and reports, especially the crash test stuff, so I already have a few in mind. I can show you them later if you want."

She looked at her engagement ring then back to me. "Just because you put a ring on it doesn't mean you wear the pants in this marriage."

"I'd never dream of it," I assured her.

Micha chuckled. "I've trained you well. What are you thinking about?" she asked when she noticed me staring at her intently.

Do I lie?

No.

Should I mentally edit?

No.

"You of course, I'm always thinking about you," I said.

"What about me?" she sang before curling her tongue.

"Lots of things, mainly how indescribably happy I am with you. My mother would have loved you regardless of our unconventional circumstances."

Her smile fell. "You realize that if your mother wouldn't have died, we would have never met how we did and wouldn't have fallen in love?"

"We would have met at the Academy," I pointed out.

"Aye, we would have, but you would have never approached me, and I would have never found my William Wallace." I loved it when she talked in random accents; her Gaelic and Scottish ones were exceptionally sexy.

"Ha ha. Do you really like the ring? Even though my dad is completely against our relationship, our bastard love child, and you as a person, he surrendered my mother's ring to give to you."