FIVE

"They don't have any business attending the Solecist Meeting and Gala," Lord Adakis expresses as I let my eyes wonder back to the mosaic tiles of the floor, bits of marble, different colors, placed in the design of the crest of the wolf empire.

Zion sits at the head of the room, his marble throne place before the only window on the room, looking powerful as his chair is raised above the rest. He rests his chin upon his hand, listening to the next comments as I sit on the second floor of the chamber, the circular room, looking below at the smaller thrones that also circle the crest, the room in one of the smaller towers, right below another chamber for business, one for the Senate (when all the Alphas and the King gather for more important matters).

For two hours I've sat on the second floor after King Zion introduced me to all the Lords. As a summary of the meeting, I either received dirty looks or raised eyebrows as I bowed my head, only for Zion to become offended.

For two hours they began again on their war meeting, something I was told my Zion that was under the radar, few knowing that war was to begin. Against who? From what I could pick up, a race of vampires known for their unique black eyes, not the typical red, a group that most children would associate with a nightmare.

By the next hour I'm sitting on the marble floor, my head against the railing as I'm hidden from the council, shutting my eyes as I let out a deep breath. All I want to do is take a walk through Central Park and go to Times Square to people watch. Questions fly though about my rent, if my tenet has tried to find me, if he's thrown out my items, if my parents have contacted me only to hit voice mail. I'll probably ask the King where the hell my phone is.

"How much time do we have?" Someone asks, and I remember the voice, Lord Vincent.

"Three weeks at least," Zion replies as I hear movement. The heavy doors to the chamber open and I look over the railing, only for my eyes to widen as he stares at me, those eyes trained upon mine as his guests begin to leave. We stay still for another five minutes, eyes upon each other, and once he breaks contact, he tells a pair of guards to close the chamber doors.

"Coming down?"

Not wanting to show my disrespect, I get to my feet, feeling nervous as his eyes are glued to me. He sits there, one ankle crossed upon his knee, his hands moving to strip the crown from his head, laying it on his lap. I continue to a small stairway, vanishing from his line of view as I think of my family.

Once the sunlight hits me from the tall window, I watch as he offers me a lopsided smile, as if one a predator would mask his identity with to capture the prey. One to coax them into believe he is of no harm. That he is a friend.

"How was the meeting?" He asks, watching as I look to the heavy doors at the entrance of the room, steel doors with intricate designs of leaves, a forest, and wolves going off to battle as the moon is high.

"Interesting," I lie, looking back to the King as he cocks his head to the side, pressing me on for the correct reply. "Quite a bore actually, I don't understand how you enjoy it," I explain, walking around the thrones, each fifteen of them, each made of marble and lower than the King's chair.

The King let's out a a deep breath, resting his chin upon his hand as I stand in the center of the room. "Most would say it's a matter of maturity. Many would say the more mature you become the more boring things you begin to appreciate." He is true when it comes to that. Shrugging, I clasp my hands behind my back and look up at the ceiling. "Besides, I doubt you'd like talk of war with that Lord Kane found funny enough to tell me."

I raise an eyebrow, only for my face to go scarlet in embarrassment. "I doubt anyone who finds the word 'penis' fun would enjoy a council meeting." I avoid eye contact as I hear him shift in the throne chair, the sound of footsteps across the silent chamber.