FIFTY-FIVE

"Then why is Alpha Nixon here?" I ask, cocking my head to the side as the Alpha vanishes.

My blood beings to heat as I find myself following the path the Alpha just took. "He's going for Zion," I whisper, grabbing Elijah's hand as I take him with me. "He's going to get Zion. The treaty is not a legit deal," I inform. "It was a distraction."

Elijah runs with me, taking as many turns as possible to the room we left Zion in. This cannot be happening.

I cannot let anything happen to Zion.

"Gather guards, Nixon has to of brought more men. He has to know-

"I'm on it," Elijah interrupts, looking to guards as he motions them to follow. I run as fast as I can in heels, my heart racing faster than ever as all I can think of is my husband. He's to be a father.

Just as we enter the hallway where Zion is held, three vampires stand before us, guarding the door where I can hear voices arguing.

My palms become sweaty, stopping in my tracks as the guards rush past me, ready for a fight. Elijah grabs my arm, hoisting me forward and towards the door.

Memories flash through my mind. Memories of how we first met, how I was chasing after the man that snatched my purse, Zion the stranger that got it back for me. I remember how he practically forced me into his car, telling me to not address him by a formal title, but by his name. I can recall the first time he kissed me, how I was lost in anger and confusion I just let it happen. We had chemistry even back when he hardly opened up to me and I wanted to be let free.

I remember the first time I saw Zion smile, how it made my heart swell and make me fall in love with the sight.

But I can also remember the yells. The fights. The blood of Sebastian was hell broke loose. Those nights I decided to flee Zion, how I left the ring upon my pillow, how I took shelter and cost Ginger her life.

When he got down onto one knee, how I pretty much zoned out of his whole speech due to pure and utter shock. He proposed another two times, every single time I told him yes.

But most of all, the look in his eyes when I informed him of our future with a family. I remember the pure joy within his eyes as he held onto me and never wanted to let go.

Elijah kicks open the conference room door, pulling me out of my thoughts as the smell of blood is potent and my eyes widen at the sight before me.

Zion stands in the center of the room, hands covered in blood, anger in his eyes, the room destroyed. It looks like a battle just took place, the body of the vampire upon the floor, his head on one side opposite of his limp body. He looks just like how I imagined a ruthless King to appear: the blood of his enemy upon his hands as he is unfazed.

"Nixon is here," I blurt out, running over to Zion as I search his body for any signs of damage. "Did the man hurt you?"

"I'm good. Nixon hasn't showed up," Zion replies, brushing his bloody hands across his suit as he kisses me softly. Zion looks into my eyes, pure love flooding his orbs as I offer him a weak smile. "We need to get you to safety."

"It's you Nixon's after," I refute. "It's you he wants dead." Truth. What I speak is truth. Nixon would much rather shoot Zion than I. Why make Zion suffer, Zion could kill him any moment. Kill Zion and have a chance of getting out of the mess alive.

"Let's just go before your lovey-dovey habits spiral out of control," Elijah interrupts, separating the two of us as he pulls on Zion's sleeve. "Let's go."