THIRTY-SIX

"How many?" I ask, following Lily as the busy streets around us make me feel closed off. I feel as if the cars parked along the street, the people in business attire pushing against me, and the noise is all a prison. For all I know Zion would be blending in here, waiting for the right time to pounce.

"If I can remember correctly, there's about ten top warriors there around the clock," Lily informs, stopping in her tracks as we face a massive skyscraper.

Only two hours ago did we find the information upon Lillian Rice, and now, we stand in the city, about to enter Alpha Nixon's office about thirteen floors up. Drexel stands beside us, sunglasses on as he inspects our surroundings. The only reason I can come up with as to why he is helping is because Zion did something in his past. It takes a lot of guts to go against your King, meaning there has to be a big reason.

As Lily heads for the front doors, I take one last look around the busy city. I fell as if some threat lurks. As if someone is here to put me back in the palace and dress me up like a Queen, to use me as some trophy. Snapping back into reality, I follow the human Luna, nervous as the city buzzes around me.

Two women stand at desks when you first enter, behind marble desks as they are busy at calls and directing people. I know one is human and the other is wolf, just the way they smell and look. Collecting myself, I remain blended in as I follow Lily, quick to make it into the elevator. Drexel stands beside me, sharp in a suit as we look like we are here on business. And we are.

I know these people know who I am, for a scandal in the palace is hard to keep under wraps when it's presented to the public. I'm the rogues that 'stole' the Alpha King's heart to these people. Which means what exactly? It means I hold some power here.

Lily seems nervous, how she bounces on the balls of her feet, biting the inside of her cheek, and her eyes flickering from place to place. I guess she's never really done something like this that much. I'm not surprised. She's the cliché human who is kind and gentle, thrown into a world of predators. Only her story is a bit more screwed up than most, how the man she let mark her and change her life may have murdered his past wife. But it could have been Zion as well. I have no idea who murdered Lillian Rice, all I know is that she was slaughtered, something hard to do to a retired Royal warrior, one of the best fighters in the world.

The heels I stand in pinch my toes, Lily's size one down from mine as I shift my standing position. All I came here with were some casual clothes, only to need business attire as we now head up to the top floor, ready to make an impression.

As the elevator doors open and we take our first steps out, the eyes o the office turn our way, widening. For sure once we finish here I will need to leave right away. I know one word of a rogue to be married to the King at the city will draw Zion here right away. Drexel says we have two hours tops here before we need to be on the move once again. Lily leads us down a small isle of cubicles, heads turning as I feel eyes upon my back. They must know who I am already. I have no doubt those pictures of Zion and me have flooded the werewolf world by now in mass numbers.

"I'll grab one of his reporters," Lily informs, rushing off into a small office as I'm left all alone with Drexel. I've heard of packs like Nixon's how they run a business basically, people hired just like a Fortune 500 as they run the place. However, instead of normal business, it's all focused around the werewolf world, stuff like treaties, trade, income, and so much more. My pack was never big enough to substation something like this, and we were pretty big for a pack in the East Coast.

As Lily returns, a man follows behind. Late forties with graying black hair and brown eyes. He looks harmless for the most part, but you never know what werewolves or even humans in general are capable of.