FORTY-ONE

Right away my hand is taken, pulling me from the car as the walls of the palace lay before me. Already nervous feeling have come back as I stare at the massive doors once shut now opened for me.

My legs climb the marble steps, ascending to the top as I'm led further. Guards stand tall, never once distracted as they hold the massive doors open.

As the last step is reaches, the hall with marble pillars and flooring lay before me, the hall opening into a gigantic throne room where the throne is upon a set of stairs. Above the throne is the tall window, one where the sunlight illuminates the throne, as of holy ground.

Everything seems familiar as it should, yet as if I've been gone for too long. Zion had informed me the Alphas were sent home after we got the Ring Leader's approval, but now I have no clue if the Ring Leaders will still aid. After all, Zion killed a fellow leader of the rogue community. Why would they want to help now?

I feel out of place once again in nothing but leggings and an older sweater, nothing like the maids even whose attire consists of black dresses with white aprons tied neatly around the waist.

"Welcome back," Zion whispers in my ear, holding me closer as we pass through the throne room.

"It's pretty silent today," I comment, looking around the Hall of Kings were statues carved from obsidian black marble are before flags of the Kingdom. "Without the Alphas it feels empty."

Zion nods, surprising me as he swoops down, picking me up bridal style as I grab onto his shirt for support. "What's the news of the war?" I ask, watching the massive staircase before us.

As we ascend yet another staircase, it all feels familiar. I remember this place, the path to the main chambers, to the King and Queen chamber. Instantly my cheeks heat up as I take in the beautiful building around me.

Ivory doors are soon before us, double doors that curve at the peak, engravings of wolves and a forest in the ivory as Zion grasps onto one of the polished silver railings. Opening, I'm set down onto my feet, entering the once familiar room as I see a change in look. The walls are now a pale blue holding a tint of silver, the massive windows with white silk drapes, expensive leather couches surrounding a white marble fireplace with a fur rug thrown under the couch. The bed is massive, four poster with no doubt silk sheets and beautiful navy and silver duvet with multiple pillows.

"This place changed," I comment.

"I didn't like the old one very much."

I nod, looking up to see a massive crystal chandelier as the tall Windows illuminate the room.

Turning around, I take a glance at the ivory doors we came in from. Truly beautiful.

I jump, arms circling my waist as my hair is moved from my neck, replied with light kisses. "I missed you," Zion whispers in between kisses, his canines lightly scraping the surface of my skin.

Just before I get a chance to respond, I'm picked up, thrown softly onto the couch as my arms around around his neck. "Is it too much to ask for one kiss?"

I smile, shaking my head as I pull the King's closer to my own.

A soft yet passionate kiss is what I receive, causing butterflies to form in my stomach.

I fall onto the couch, Zion crawling over as I close my eyes tightly. If only every moment was full of joy, no interruptions. Flipping the two of us over, I pull back, staring down into those beautiful brown eyes. "Why did you change it?"

"Why the questions?" Zion asks, his fingers brushing the loose strands of hair out of my face. The look upon Zion's face is pure adornment. "I haven't seen you in so long. A week, Sybil, even longer."