TEN

Thanks for making the big 10 milestone!

My eyes focus upon the defense before me, the one in the distance, one that sends shivers up my back. Marisa moves behind me, finding up the last portions of my hair as I silently groan, watching the first few cars dry down the lonely highway here. As Marisa says I'm ready, I get up from my chair, not ready to face the world as my hands run over the silks upon me. Never would I think I would stand beside the King to greet Alphas, and I don't want to either.

But I'm not stubborn enough to go against the King's wishes and completely disobey direct orders.

Last night wasn't any better than all the other times he came and told me that I would stand beside him. After our small talk, right as he said he was going to play games, that my actions would show who I was rejected by, he told me my very reactions would betray me. Maybe it's good that he will find out who rejected me, maybe so. Or it could end badly, as in Sebastian stripped of his title of killed just out of mere rage or whatever Zion has against him.

A part of me still wants Sebastian. Why? Why after all he did to me? Because he is my mate, the person the moon goddess paired me with. He is the man fate wanted me to spend the rest of my days with, or did date have something else in mind? That I do not know.

A swift knocking at the door and I find myself in a trace as I make my way over to the door, Marisa opening it for me to reveal a man I do not want to speak to at all. "Sybil, you look lovely."

I nod, exiting the room as King Zion takes my arm, pulling me with him down the hall. His hair is combed back, his eyes alert, jaw tense, and body rigid. Clad in a black suit, very fancy by the way, and the crown upon his head as his royal robes rest upon his shoulders and trail a foot behind him.

The secret door opens and I follow the King out, my left leg showing through the slit of my dress as I exit the hallway. My nerves have already picked up as my wolf knows we will see Sebastian here tonight, that we will see the male who rejected us, who made us rogue; yet, we will want to be with him because we were made for one another. But a part of me loathes the man that made me love through hell.

"There will be one hundred and eight Alphas to greet tonight, some Lunas will also be here with their mates."

I nod once more, letting my eyes drift off to the windows, watching many of the cars get even closer as my fingers begins to shake. "We simple greet them with a smile and nod, welcoming them to the palace. Some may take your hand and kiss it, some will comment on your looks, and many will bow their heads to the fullest respect."

"Why would they kiss your hand?" I ask, only to frown. He meant me. "I'm a rogue and they have no idea what I am to them or you."

He scowls. "They know that you must be very important to stand beside me tonight," is the King's only response as we come into the throne room, once again making our way down the entrance hall, the guards at the doors of freedom as they bow their heads. "Open the doors."

My heart skips a beat.

The little light left of the sun shines in upon me, the light so unusual to feel from this section of the palace. Only twice have I left the palace walls, and that was to the forest. The sun looks beautiful as no window separates it from me and I take in a deep breath.

At the same time, the moat of the palace lowers, the metal gate lifted, and the guards upon the walls on duty once more. The first car pulls into the circular drive, followed by another two. "We will most likely be here for two hours as they arrive."

So now I await Sebastian. I've told myself countless times to remain calm when I see him, to greet him like a stranger who is welcoming him into the home in which she's been living. Sadly the home is not what she wants, nor the man who owns it is what she is sure of.