TWENTY-THREE

The night is a blurred memory, from the moment the ring slid onto my finger to the moment where I now stand beside Zion, my skin paling as I watch Elijah approach. It's been two hours since I gave my answer, and now I stand beside a man I hardly know, who is way older than me, who says he did not kill my parents, and I am not engaged to.

Elijah's smile doesn't help either as he gets closer, his smile on the verge of becoming a smirk. My left hand is behind my back, I've been trying to keep the ring as hidden as possible, not wanting any drama for the night. "My dearest Sybil," Elijah greets, his toothy grin making me wonder what he is up to.

"Elijah, good to see you," I reply, feeling Zion tighten his hold around my waist as he chats with a noble. "Did you bring Zelda?" I ask, referring to his mate as another song plays in the background.

He cocks his head to the side, his eyes leaving me and towards a beautiful woman who chats with Lord Kane. The woman is breathtaking, her locks of black hair cascading over her shoulders, her bright and blue eyes almost glowing. Clad in a beautiful silver gown stands the woman who I want to ask how she puts up with Elijah. "She's beautiful."

"Indeed she is," Elijah smirks. "Not to mention Zion hates it."

"Why?"

"Cousin of the King, the one I had talked oath him about when we first met," Elijah explains as I remember his comment after he fell in the water, how he pulls bang her twice as hard when he saw her again. "She's back from New Zealand thanks to the ball."

Nodding my head, I watch as Elijah extends his gloved hand to me, asking me for a dance silently. As I feel Zion's eyes look at me, his hold loosens up and I'm let go to dance with his best friend and on the verge of crazy one as well. This morning one of the maids helping spray tan me commented that Elijah had taken down all of the massive curtains of the dinning room and sent them off to a tailer to be made into a suit. They later explained that he was high off of some herb in his tea.

No surprise there.

I'm pulled into the sea of people dancing to anther classical piece, my fingers shaking as I notice my left hand will be on display no matter what. Right away, I turn the ring around, causing it to look like a smile band as my hand is placed upon his shoulder.

"I guess you want to keep it a secret as long as possible?" Elijah inquires, raising an eyebrow as he mentions the ring. "But congratulations no matter what, no everyday something like that happens to someone like you."

He's right, it's not everyday that a rogue is engaged to an Alpha King. It's not everyday the Alpha King even cares for a poor rogue. "I just don't want people knowing about it tonight, just that more attention would be drawn and drama arise."

"You truly are wiser than most your age," Elijah comments, taking the first steps into the dance as I follow around. "No wonder Zion picked you, he needs some more mature but still having a cooky side."

"Cooky?" Elijah smiles, twirling me around, and as he does, I meet Zion's stare with a short gaze. He's chatting with a group of three royal women, smaller tiaras upon their golden heads as they try and flirt. Zion is mine? Is he? He has basically declared his undying love for me, but does that mean I can claim possession like a mate does? "Well, becoming rogue at a younger age does make you grow up faster," I point out as I'm facing Elijah again, a few people catching the merino of me being rogue as they shun their eyes and scoff.

"Don't worry about them." I look around at all the people, the sea that floods. Many Alphas dance with either their mates or those with higher titles. "Besides, you've earned their respect, enough to let them put a major part of the war planning in your hands."