FIFTY-TWO

"She was damn intelligent for sure," Zion begins, leaning back in his seat as he tries to remain relaxed. But I can see right through his facade, how his hands are clenched into fists by his side and his eyes harden. "Went to MIT for a computer major. She was a warrior for her pack, one hell of a warrior. Simply put, my father wanted her, she came, I met my mate, father sent her away, and she was murdered. End of story."

He doesn't want to talk at all about her. I can understand why. He fell head over heels for her only for a man who she picked over him to kill. But Nixon never got Lillian in the end. She may of picked Nixon to marry and try to begin a family with, only to start an affair with Zion, sentencing her to death the moment Nixon discovered the secret.

"My King, I know it's a miserable topic to unravel from your past, but the Kingdom deserves to know her story. I swear to you, my King, just as scribes for the marble tablets have done for centuries, your story shall never be heard until your passing."

Zion's passing...how far away is that?

Is that when we returns to the battlefield or when he dies at old age after we live a beautiful life together.

Legend tells that when a King dies, a new star is born within the Galaxy. A star of eternal brightness.

"That is the story of Lillian Rice, Lord Kane," Zion states, a tone of anger making its way up. "You know the rest of my story."

Zion gets to his feet, storming out of the room as the doors fly open.

I stay seated, the spence consuming Lord Kane and I as the doors shut with a loud echo. I'll give Zion some time alone. He needs it. He needs to calm down and I respect that.

Turning back to Lord Kane, I feel miserable for the way Zion has treated him. Yet, Lord Kane knew coming here with that topic would anger Zion.

"Lord Kane, how do you know about Lillian Rice? Hardly anyone knows. Not even the media knows."

He places Lillian's file back into a briefcase. "The walls have ears in the palace, Sybil...did Zion ever tell you about the walls of the palace?"

I shake my head no.

"He thinks of it as the story of his youth," Lord Kane begins. "He tells the story of how the walls of the palace are his haven, his muse. He would play piano in one room while his father killed a man in the room right next door." Lord Kane gets to his feet. "He says that many come to the palace seeking prosperity and ranking, only to be thrown into a world of people wanting you or your reputation dead, how scandals lurk around every corner."

"What does Zion get out of this 'speech?'" I ask, getting to my feet as Lord Kane approaches me.

"He tells the story of why he loves the palace. Why he finds it his home and sanctuary. Sometimes it may seem like Zion detests this place, where so many he knew have died, but he loves the palace. He loves every aspect of it."

Lord Kane holds out his hand to shake.

I take his hand, only for Lord Kane to lead me down the opposite way of which Zion left. "Where are we going?" I ask, uncertain of what is going on.

"I do not believe Zion has taken you to this room yet, nor would I blame him. It's one room he's not fondest of."

"I've explored every room in this palace," I comment, only for Lord Kane to shake his head.

"Not this one."

The doors open and we are out in a hallway, passing bye ancient tapestries and paintings from past wolf empires. A set of many stairs and we are soon at the tallest tower of the palace.