THIRTY-FOUR

"They're going to fight?" Zion asks again, clarifying the news I've just given him. Nodding, I look to the door the Rind Leaders left by. "What was the bargain?"

"The trade?" I ask, trying to use a different word. Zion shakes his head, taking my hand as he pulls me from the hallway and towards a new set of doors I've not yet been through. "I gave them a promise," I inform, watching as the King opens the doors, revealing a circular room with massive windows on one side, a massive bed facing the skyline.

"What was the promise?"

I don't realize it until I feel the cold wall against my back, my body pressed against the wall as Zion approaches like a predator. My wolf gets nervous as he stares down at us, cocking his head to the side as he brushes a strand of my hair out of the way. "And why, the whole evening, have you smelled like cheap perfume?"

He's onto me. He already knew I ran off and has a hunch of where I was. For sure he's not dumb enough to know where I went was a night club. "Answer that question or the one over the rogues."

"I promised then each four.... million dollars for aiding the Kingdom...."

He doesn't snap. "What else, Sybil?"

"A small load of weapons that they needed and protection. To be aid them like they are to aid us."

It's as if Zion wants to laugh at me if what I feel like. My whole brain keeps telling me I'm the laughing stock and the Alphas will forever regret making me in charge of the deal.

"Zion, you put me in charge-

"Where were you? When you left? I know it was someone filled with people, but the whole room has been covered in that smell of cheap perfume!"

My body is pressed fully against the wall, Zion's front pressing against mine as I can sense his inner demon. He wants answers. He wants to know something that will forever make me embarrassed. Not only that, but if I tell him I went to ask about my parents, our trust would be lost once more.

"I needed to cool down so I went to a club and danced, had a few drinks, and came back all in one piece."

I know he wants to lecture me on how stupid and unsafe that was, on how he has so many enemies, how people would love to see me dead to get to him. I don't want the cliche talk on how ignorant I was with my decision.

Lips land on mine, causing me to be surprised. The last thing I expected was for him to not throw a fit. Fingers push through my hair, pulling my head back as I look into the King's burning gaze. Lust. That's what is present. Pure and raw list that both frightens me and excites me.

But Zion pulls away, walking right towards the windows that reveal the skyline of Miami. "I was mad and confused, Zion, I need to clear my mind before I came back here," I explain, following the predator as my legs begin to feel weak. "So many things have happened since we met, so many things that make me feel completely confused. I'm not used to this life, Zion, a life of war and luxuries where I'm expected to be presentable every damn second and always know what to say and when to say it. I'm a rogue from a smaller pack who had never dreamed of even entering the palace!"

His back is still to me, the way he stands showing me he's tensed and pondering everything I've just said. Just to think not even three hours ago we had made up from the past events.

Letting out a deep breath, I already know what to do.

Grabbing all the courage I have left, I leave the room. Not only do I leave the room, but also the whole suite as my mind is racing through a thousand thoughts. How can we be fine to being broken in less than three hours? Are we a toxic relationship, one doomed to never end well but we keep coming back for more?