TWENTY-FOUR

"You look beautiful," Marisa comments as she takes away my breakfast, the empty plate making her smile as usual. I guess most female guests don't finish all of the food. I thank Marisa, bidding her a good day as she heads out, closing the door softly behind her.

This morning when I got back, I messed up my bed, making it seem as if I slept in it. Why? I don't want castle gossip.

Once I slide on my flats, I take in a deep breath. Today will be one to test my patiences around Alphas for sure, especially when they will be fighting over what I'm to do. As I let out a deep breath, I spot the engagement ring upon the night stand, slightly hidden under my necklace and earning from last night.

Zion would want me to wear it. It wouldn't make me any differences due to the way he acts around me now, no one would take it as a surprise. So, I decide to slide the ring on, the band feeling unfamiliar upon my finger. I only pray that Zion will keep the wedding simple, but knowing him, he will not.

"A new Alpha will be there today, one from your pack," Zion states as he enters my room, dressed in the usual navy suit, fixing his black tie as his crown is tilted and his robes tied up in the back.

"And I wonder why."

Fingers cup my chin as my head turns to the side. "It had to happen."

"I don't see why it was such a big thing to actually to practically decapitate Sebastian before his mate."

The atmosphere becomes tense as I say those words, memories flooding my mind of his rich red blood across the marble floor. White and red. "You would have gone back to him."

I scoff, shaking my head. "I highly doubt that, I would never go back to someone who threw me out with no guilt. He had no remorse and I didn't care for him," I snap, turning around with a scowl across my face. "You should believe me here, you should know I'm telling the truth, I'm not some weakling to go and beg for a relationship with someone who does not love them!"

Zion looks taken back, shocked, surprised. I don't know if it's because of my tone or the words I put out. "You do not own me, Zion, I'm not property. Sure, I may let you make many decisions just because you're some stupid King, but I'm not some toy! I have emotions and a brain of my own."

Silence.

"I know you have a brain in there, I know all of that, but I could not take the chance of Sebastian wanting you back. Mates are born to be together."

"You don't see me hunting down your mate to kill her," I add, walking over to a window, pulling the curtains open as the sunlight floods in. "I don't tell you what to do, just let me be myself. I'm young and should also have the right to say and do whatever I please." Zion straightens out his posture, fixing his crown as I take in a deep breath. "Promise me that as I work as the middleman between you and the rogues, that I get those rights."

He's not used to letting someone else be in charge. Hell, his whole life he's practically been given everything he wants. Glad he did not turn out like Geoffrey Lanaster. "Do you promise?"

Practically asking him to hand over all of his control in the situation if what I am doing.

"I promise you that."

Offering the King a gentle smile, the gong rings, telling us that the Senate has been called in. "Then, shall we go?"

I nod, taking his arm as we leave the room and the secret hall, heading to the Senate chambers. Already I can hear the chatter of the Alphas', their voices loud as they argue and greet one another. "Just don't let them get to you," Zion whispers, giving me a gentle kiss to the temple as the guards begin to open the Senate doors.