FIFTY

We walk slow through the fire. The flames confining us as I find it hard to breath. Walking hand in hand we watch as everything turns to ashes around us.

Is this really happening?

No...yet it feels like it.

As we walk hand in hand past the guards of the palace, the front doors of the palace opened for us as reporters try and get news from us. All the media wants is a good story. They want to create rumors, lies, to get anything they can. Zion and I are nothing but another penny to the paper.

As we reach the last step, Zion's tensed body seems to relax, his hand not as tight around mine. Once in the palace, the doors shut tight and I let out a deep breath.

Only two hours ago did we land back in the States from Europe, driven right away back towards the palace. News reporters were already out here, ready for a story. They knew I was gone for over a week, rushed out with no remains. The media knows something is going on here.

"We have a meeting tonight," Zion informs right as the doors shut and we enter the throne room. Right away a maid approaches the two of us, the King'd robes in her arms as she asked which fur he would like to wear tonight.

As he gives the order and the maid leaves, I stand before Zion, looking into his bloodshot eyes. "With who?" I ask.

"He's-

"Not Nixon," I mumble as Zion shakes his head.

"Lord Kane will be attending tonight."

A small smile crosses my lips. Lord Kane is the man who hear me say the word penis for the whole palace to hear. I have him a laugh and I'm glad he was not offended. No mad that a woman within the palace would say such 'childish' words.

"What over?"

"The war is coming to a close, we are talking of the construction of the Kingdom due to all the loss."

Nodding, I watch as the beautiful Alpha enters the throne room, those killer heels clicking against the palace floors as she walks with her head held high. If anything, Alpha Penelope Shannon is one hell of a woman I would not mind reading a massive biography off of. She's strong and determined, transforming a weak pack into one of the most feared in the world.

Zion turns around to greet his cousin, caught off as she passes bye him and stops before me. "Do you mind if we hang out in a bit? Say thirty minutes, meet me in the library?"

I agree, watching as Penelope disappears into the palace once more as I'm left alone with Zion.

"Sometimes she scares me," I admit. "Her whole presence is enough to make me wonder what she is up to at every second."

Zion smiles, placing an arm over my shoulder as we walk back to the royal chambers.

For the next twenty minutes before I'm to meet Penelope, Zion and I chat of the war, how he expects it to end within the month, only a week till Christmas. Zion explains that he will be gone tomorrow till the end of the next week, to return next week's Tuesday and hopefully beginning the ending of the war. Zion believes we shall win. I don't doubt him, for the statistics he lists are enough to make me think the other side has no chance.

"Sybil?"

I shoot my head to the side to see Zion staring at me, a soft smile upon those lips. "I believe Penelope is awaiting you."

"Oh!"

Right away I head for the door, pulling it open to free the familiar foyer behind me where only select maids and guards are allowed to enter. I recall my first night beside the King, how I didn't know what to feel. I felt both scared, unsure, and yet happy all at once. If seven-year-old me who wanted to marry a prince would have known about her future, she would of been bouncing off the walls due to pure and utter raw joy.