EIGHTEEN

"You have no clue what I am thinking right now," I mumble, stopping midway with the brush in my hair. Penelope chuckles, taking the brush as she continues on my hair. "He says he wants me here because I'm his mate, yet we both know second mates don't happen to people like us and that we each had our own mates," I explain, the knots out of my hair as Penelope begins braiding the locks, making sure ever strand is pulled out of the way. "And now he wants to kill the male who rejected me just because he claims that Sebastian made my life miserable. He confuses me and it makes my head spin."

Penelope nods, finishing up on my hair with a small pearl pin holding in one of the loose strands. "So you think he will kill Alpha Sebastian?"

"He won't just give him a light slap to the face," I remark, looking at myself in the mirror. With bloodshot eyes, bags, and a face that looks beaten and worn out, I reach out for the bottle Elijah brought in last night, taking a small swing as the female Alpha shakes her head.

"The least is strip the title, but King Zion knows that taking the title of Alpha away will only bring more problems to his mind. He'll have to acquire a new Alpha, meaning Sebastian's Beta will have to go through paperwork and ceremonies for days, even weeks." Penelope takes in a deep breath, zipping me up the rest of the way. "Just have some steamy sex, far too much sexual tens-

"Are you serious?!" I remark, my face turning red as Penelope smirks.

"I bet you've also heard people with titles like Zion's have some great st-

"I'm done with you if this will be your words of 'wisdom' to me." Standing to my feet, I exit the bathroom, almost charging into the room as my blood begins to boil. "He's just some King who just confuses me more and more with his actions and mood swings."

I fix my dress as I just want to tear it apart and take another dive. But the mermaids in the lake will stop me from ever doing that again. "He's some King who offers you that happily ever after every little girl dreams of. The palace. The handsome King. The wealth. But you are searching for happiness."

"This isn't about some foolish relationship, Penelope, I want to know what happened to my parents, to the woman who bore me and the man who raised me," I express, throwing my arms up in the air as Penelope exits the bathroom, fixing her hair as she walks just like a model. "Right now I-

"You are being so stubborn, just loosen up and actually just spend a night with him and-

"I'm not going to sleep with someone and forget where I am," I shout, heading right towards the door. "Now, if you will excuse me, I'm going to try and save a life while uncovering what happened to my parents and why I am still here."

Just as I pull the door open, I'm shocked to see three palace guards already there, awaiting me. "Lady Sybil, we have been told by the King to escort you to the throne room."

"I know where the throne room is," I snap, almost pushing through, only for one to grab my arm.

"The King's orders, my Lady." I have no reason to be rude to them, only to the King. Nodding, I follow them, one in front and two behind as I feel weird being escorted.

As we pass through halls, the closer we get, the more I can hear the chatter from the throne room. No doubt the Alphas are there. Although this is called a trial, there is no jury, no judge, for the only one to make the decisions is the King, and something tells me that's not the best thing.

The throne room holds all the Alphas for the most part, Zion already sitting on his throne, his crown on, royal robes  draped over his shoulders, and looking annoyed. As I stop at the entrance, eyes turn to me, making me feel uncomfortable as the guards tell me I'm to stand beside the King.