Chapter 40 Wait

Madeline waited for Ethan at the inn he had pay for her to stay at the far side of town hoping no one would have caught on yet . Her act on lady Josoline had caused her family to disown her and even more when they had found out of her pregnancy. She taped her heel on the wooden floor unable to be at easy ; her baby bump was getting bigger and she needed Ethan even more . She felt unbelievable joy when she heard that the engagement had broken.

There was a tap on the old wooden door and she rushed to it without thinking of who it was. Ethan stood there ,his facial hair had made him looked older; his messy hair made him look like a sailor, No longer looked like the well polished duke. Even though Madeline had hated to admit it she knew josoline was the reason for his behavior.

" Madeline " he said in a unreadable tone. He walked in, his sweet glow had disappeared since that girl left him and it had killed her to see him this way but she had to take what she could get and it was his body, money and be the father of her child but she knew his affection or love was not going to be hers . Though it hard to say she knew josoline took it with her .

" Did you have your lunch?" He asked taking a seat on the chair .

" Yes had fruits so I just had a little something" she replied giving him a broad smile.

He nodded.

He looked her over , She had gain even more weight from his last visit. She even looked pretty he figured it was that baby glow that they spoke of .
Ethan started to compare her beauty to Josoline and yet Josoline had always won, he even compared how he felt in her company and it was never the same.

" Ethan may I offer you tea..food ,wine?" She offered.

" No thank you Madeline...i'm here to discuss marriage" His tone very held no love.

Madeline squealed inside but she retained a good composer,"oh really,?" She said innocently taking a seat across from him.

His deep blue eyes looked into hers ,her fat cheeks turning red ; she felt hot under his stare.

" I'm not marrying you because I have a choice and word has been out that you are with child...and I wish my child not to be out of wedlock because he his of royal breed."

" So you are proposing?* She asked timidly.

" Yes lady Madeline" he breath out his face a mask steel

She jumped and hugged him but he did not return her embrace but she didn't really care only thing she knew she was getting what she wanted.

The marriage
The family
The children

All she wanted was coming into place.

He removed her hands and looked down into her eyes then whispered," do not think I love you I'm only do this for my child an nothing more"

*************

The days had past like the leafs falling from the trees so did the kings health. The society was in mourning for their dear king, it all had happen so fast the King's passing and the preparation for Leonardo taking his place on the throne.

He looked him self over in the mirror once remembering the last words his father had said to him. His heart tighten and his stomach had knots.

flashback

The room was dim with candle light and it had the foul scent of vomit and medication. Even though the maids had done there duties in cleaning the room his father vomiting and coughing only got worst .

Leo looked down at the man that once stood so powerful before him , who had lived for his people and who had cared for his family . Leo felt his chest tighten as the memories flooded back ..